Missing Skylake HD/Iris Graphics Devices Get Added To Mesa DRM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
    I think intel should reduce costs and ditch their IGP, add more cores on layers, make their transistors 3d and make it liquid cooled.
    Intel and everyone else are integrating everything in the same package because otherwise they would be wasting silicon space for nothing.

Their first iGPU lines were allowed in the Chipset silicon for this reason, just to not waste silicon surface that had to be used anyway

Removing the iGPU isn't a major cost reduction, while leaving the best iGPUs in high-end processor helps convince non-performance-seeking people to buy them for this iGPU (trust me, I've seen this happen).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Intel and everyone else are integrating everything in the same package because otherwise they would be wasting silicon space for nothing.

Their first iGPU lines were allowed in the Chipset silicon for this reason, just to not waste silicon surface that had to be used anyway

Removing the iGPU isn't a major cost reduction, while leaving the best iGPUs in high-end processor helps convince non-performance-seeking people to buy them for this iGPU (trust me, I've seen this happen).
      Why didnt they use it for for more cores or registers or whatever then? Or even space out the cores so less heat aggregates.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
        Why didnt they use it for for more cores or registers or whatever then? Or even space out the cores so less heat aggregates.
        More cores don't help on the workloads most people care about. It's a tough sell to get people to buy the i7 (4 cores/8 threads) over the i5 (4 cores/4 threads). Similarly the I5 isn't particularly compelling instead of the i3 with 2 cores/4 threads (but similar cores, performance per clock, and clock rate).

The registers were already doubled with x86-64, doubling them again isn't going to add much performance and would likely impact performance either through a longer pipeline (read that as lower IPC) and a lower maximum clock rate.

Spacing the cores out would decrease the chips per wafer and greatly reduce intel's profits.

Generally Intel's quite smart, and have pretty well targeted the i3, i5, and i7 markets. As a result intels marketshare for those price points is impressively high, AMD's mostly surviving on selling into different market (like GPUs, low end CPUS, and chips for ps4/xbox1/etc). A nice GPU seems like a good justification for spending more on a CPU. I'd never normally consider paying the premium for an i7 vs an i5 (not much difference on most apps), but would consider it to get a much nicer GPU that might prevent me from having to buy a $150-$300 video card and a large desktop case. Doubly so if it's quiet, fits in a much smaller form factor, and has good open source drivers.

There's no easy way to significantly improve the performance of intel's current chips, thus each generation since sandybridge has been a pretty modest increase on normal codes. So clockrates and performance per clock have been changing very slowly. What has been changing is performance per watt, thus you can get fairly high end performance in a machine the side of a book that used to be in a fairly loud/large case. It's kinda depressing how little sandybridge -> ivybridge -> haswell -> broadwell -> skylake has changed. It's not even clear that it's an improvement in all cases. Broadwells in particular don't see much justification for normal use cases, unless you need a fancy GPU then they were the leaders for awhile.

There are the LGA2011 targeted desktops that do skip the GPU, have twice the memory bandwidth, and more cores. They don't sell particularly well though and are generally considered to not be worth the premium for most use cases.

Comment

Working...
        X