No announcement yet.

Tomb Raider Benchmarks On Linux With NVIDIA Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like that TressFX is not accellerated from other benchmarks. Would be a good idea to port it from Direct Compute to OpenCL. AMD has good OpenCL performance and they invented TressFX, so make it run smooth with Linux... Also some AMD benchmarks could be done. Funny to see AMD Gaming Evolved games only on Nvidia GFX.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
      and if you did that it would be muuuuuch better for most of us since we'd be spared reading your whining
      As you wish, go and pay some 20$ for some shitty port and do not forget to buy the 980ti and take your friends too, Nvidia is going to be very happy.

Comment

Originally posted by faldzip View Post
        I would even pay some extra couple of dollars for a proper Linux port, but now - I won't pay a cent.
        Agreed. I'd even be ready to wait for years(!) and then pay the full price for the port, if I only knew there will be a port that delivers anything near the quality of the original game.

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
        I'll continue repeating it - Linux is not a gaming platform yet. Like it or not, games are developed with DX in mind and porting them over to OpenGL messes up the performance.
        And it won't become anytime soon with these kind of ports. I think this is what complaining people are actually concerned about.

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
        and if you did that it would be muuuuuch better for most of us since we'd be spared reading your whining
        When did being pragmatic become a problem in the Linux world?

Let's face it, it's another really bad port of a Windows game to Linux. Problem is: many Windows games are actually "bad" ports of console games already, but not that bad in most cases. Vast majority of gamers wouldn't accept this in any way, if a game would have been ported like this from consoles to PC. TR is no breakthrough here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Feral in any way. I appreciate what they're doing, but I don't think they are truly satisfied with this situation, too. The initiative for Linux ports is coming from the publishers thinking they could make an easy deal with a cheap port and some Linux fans. They should accept Linux as a serious gaming platform instead, but that won't happen as it's a vicious circle.
        To break out of it, games/engines have to be developed cross-platform from ground up with comparable amount of ressources put into all platforms. Maybe, next-gen would help for Vulkan games on Win, Linux, Mac (MoltenVk), and Nintendo. But I don't see devs actually "revolting" against MS yet. It's still "DX" all over. At least, ports could benefit from d3d12, as it should be easier to port over to Vulkan with acceptable performance compared to porting d3d11 to OpenGL, I guess...

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        True windows believer. Reality hits in forms of viruses, slow desktop, unstability, blue and black screens and hours of problems solving. NTFS is from ancient Rome and no choices in windows to change anything.
        The desktop ain't slow if you have current hardware (which you do have as a gamer). You don't expect viruses if you use this system only for gaming, not surfing around and doing other everyday stuff. It ain't unstable, I don't have problems to solve. I install Windows, the proper graphics drivers, steam/games and that's it. If you don't count downloading from a slow connection to that, this doesn't take hours. I haven't seen blue/blackscreens for a long time. Why should I care about the file system on my game console? What changes would I want to do to my game launcher?
        I dislike Windows really much, but I like gaming. Linux can't provide me that. Stop the ignorant and false stereotypes already

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        It looks like that TressFX is not accellerated from other benchmarks. Would be a good idea to port it from Direct Compute to OpenCL. AMD has good OpenCL performance and they invented TressFX, so make it run smooth with Linux... Also some AMD benchmarks could be done. Funny to see AMD Gaming Evolved games only on Nvidia GFX.
        Why OpenCL? Could this even be implemented in a usable way into a real-time 3D game? There are compute shaders in OpenGL.
        The best solution for AMD would obviously be Vulkan with separate compute/graphics queues, utilising the ACEs/MECs and unused CU resources, but that's not going to happen.

Gaming Evolved never brought that massive gap between the both manufacturers like GameWorks does. Actually, on Windows, "AMD-games" are performing closer to what you would expect them to, based no the pure hardware capabilities.

The successor, Rise of the Tomb Raider, was patched to run with d3d12 and it seems to benefit from separate queues (at least copy/gfx for less streaming hiccups). A Vulkan port of this would be very interesting. But the game was exclusive on Xbox first, uses d3d12, so it's sponsored in some way by MS and I don't know what contracts they have. Maybe they are prohibited to publish ports to other platforms
        Last edited by juno; 28 April 2016, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          According to the comments here: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...or-tomb-raider
          TressFX is ported with the game....thought I do not know how the port is done...would be nice to have some details...

Comment

Ohhh, whining at full force here, but then again, this is Phoronix readership we talk about. Carry on, people, keep positive spirit high

Nope, it is not about being pragmatic. It is about you being overly sour.

Comment

Originally posted by faldzip View Post
              Then port to Vulkan or spend some more time to make the OpenGL port better. Just look at some phoronix Windows vs Linux tests - there are some examples where Linux is on par with Windows or is just 20% off, not 50%. So it is achievable. I would even pay some extra couple of dollars for a proper Linux port, but now - I won't pay a cent.
              It is all about making the good action of retributing ports and showing that Linux is already a profitable platform.

If you look short vision then you are right, better play on Windows or Wine. So that in 2 years there will be no more ports. Voilà.

But most people here watch beyond that and bet on those ports so that they will improve in technology and increase in marketshare.
              We bet we will have real native games more and more every day, maybe we are dumb, but for now it is the only way.

Comment

If you think it is all about number games, fine, it is ok to have your own opinion and express it. But I disagrgee on actual impact of Linux platform viability. We know Linux can perform better. Devs know it. These games done via wraps are at that point where a) performance can be acceptable and b) porting makes financial sense. No Windows gamer will pick up Linux at this point just because of better performance. Titles are too few to begin with for him to make him interested. People who enjoy indies and other small games is different - they might pick up SteamOS console just for good enough Linux ports alone.

Comment

Stop to compare the Feral version and the Wine version. They don't use the same OpenGL version.

Wine -> DirectX9 to OpenGL 3.x
                  Feral -> OpenGL 4.2

And on the Steam forum, à Feral's des said that they took the Windows source of game to building the game on Linux. They didn't use Wine or other wrapper.

Comment

If we don't inject money in the system and if we don't create a demand then there will never be any offer from the developers for a linux version at all. It's not rocket science, we are building a market now. If you think windows desperately need you as a customer then be my guest and join their party. I think that linux needs me more as a customer so I spend my money on whatever helps the effort. A port from Feral does help the effort so they get my money.

You cannot have everything you want right now so you give up? What kind of behavior is this?

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Mesa radeonsi:

Actual gameplay performance is about 1/2 of the built-in benchmark performance, 1/4 in the forest scenes.

CPU usage seems to be about 200%, so more than 3 CPU cores will have most likely very little effect on performance.
                      feral ports are always CPU bound, shadow of mordor uses 30-40% of my GPU no matter what graphics settings because it's CPU bound.
                      Whatever wrapper they use for porting(and yes, they have one — it's called "InDirectX", it's essentially just a directx wrapper AFAICT.) needs fixed.
                      Last edited by peppercats; 28 April 2016, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X