Tomb Raider Benchmarks On Linux With NVIDIA Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atomsymbol

- In my opinion, there need to be native Linux games for open-source OpenGL drivers to improve over time.
    I'd rather developers focus on Vulkan at this time than OpenGL.

Comment

If this is a Feral port they basically ship their own proprietary wine anyway (it's called "IndirectX" and is basically Wine with more shader caching and support for SM4/5). Not exactly championing OpenGL development (though I can't blame them).

Comment

I don't know about you but I got 500000 fps running Tomb Raider on my computer. Of course I had to install from floppy...which was a real pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
          This looks to mean that the game runs faster in Wine with G9 than native with RadeonSI.

IMO, if a game can run this well in Wine, why put resources into making a port?
          AMD drivers massively under-performing compared to NVIDIA drivers in a 'REAL WORLD TEST'? who would have thought.......

Comment

On my OCed HD7950 on Windows 10 I have over 60fps in the built-in benchmark on 1080p, Ultimate with TressFX (which is close to GTX 960 on Windows) which is almost on par with 980ti without TressFX on linux... For me this is another shitty port and I would recommend not buying it. But lots of people here say "but it is still playable and hey, that's another Linux port!!!". In the Windows world last time someone did such shitty console port was Batman: Arkham Knight - and the sales were ceased after few days because of ppl complaining how shitty it is. Really, you can't eat shit just because it has a penguin sticker on it...

Comment

I think it is high time people accepted that ports come with a 20 to 50% performance hit. I'll continue repeating it - Linux is not a gaming platform yet. Like it or not, games are developed with DX in mind and porting them over to OpenGL messes up the performance.

Comment

Originally posted by faldzip View Post
                On my OCed HD7950 on Windows 10 I have over 60fps in the built-in benchmark on 1080p, Ultimate with TressFX (which is close to GTX 960 on Windows) which is almost on par with 980ti without TressFX on linux... For me this is another shitty port and I would recommend not buying it. But lots of people here say "but it is still playable and hey, that's another Linux port!!!". In the Windows world last time someone did such shitty console port was Batman: Arkham Knight - and the sales were ceased after few days because of ppl complaining how shitty it is. Really, you can't eat shit just because it has a penguin sticker on it...
                You're complaining that a game ported to an OS with a small marketshare isn't receiving as much attention as another game port for an OS that's got a near monopoly. Do you honestly think the dev teams are comparable in any way? That is not a fair comparison.

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
                I think it is high time people accepted that ports come with a 20 to 50% performance hit. I'll continue repeating it - Linux is not a gaming platform yet. Like it or not, games are developed with DX in mind and porting them over to OpenGL messes up the performance.
                I'm glad to read that there's at least one person here who understands that things take time.
                Last edited by wdb974; 28 April 2016, 01:39 AM. Reason: Multiquote

Comment

Then port to Vulkan or spend some more time to make the OpenGL port better. Just look at some phoronix Windows vs Linux tests - there are some examples where Linux is on par with Windows or is just 20% off, not 50%. So it is achievable. I would even pay some extra couple of dollars for a proper Linux port, but now - I won't pay a cent.

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
                    You're complaining that a game ported to an OS with a small marketshare isn't receiving as much attention as another game port for an OS that's got a near monopoly. Do you honestly think the dev teams are comparable in any way? That is not a fair comparison.
                    Then sell it for the 20-50% of Windows price as this is what we really get. And (continuing your thought) as the team is much smaller - they can make profit for a much lower price as the game was profitable for the much bigger Windows team. Oh, and remind me how big is the Croteam's Engine Team? As I guess it's... one guy. And I can have 80% of the Windows DX11 performance with Vulkan on the AMD GPU-PRO beta driver.

Now the linux gaming seems not profittable for me at all, as I bought my GPU for like 100$ and I would have to change it to a 500$ GPU to get the similar performance while still paying the full price for the game. On the other hand - for like 100-200$ I can buy Windows and HDD, put it into my PC and have muuuuuuch more games with muuuuuuch less problems and muuuuuch better performance.
                    Last edited by faldzip; 28 April 2016, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by faldzip View Post

Then sell it for the 20-50% of Windows price as this is what we really get. And (continuing your thought) as the team is much smaller - they can make profit for a much lower price as the game was profitable for the much bigger Windows team. Oh, and remind me how big is the Croteam's Engine Team? As I guess it's... one guy. And I can have 80% of the Windows DX11 performance with Vulkan on the AMD GPU-PRO beta driver.

Now the linux gaming seems not profittable for me at all, as I bought my GPU for like 100$ and I would have to change it to a 500$ GPU to get the similar performance while still paying the full price for the game. On the other hand - for like 100-200$ I can buy Windows and HDD, put it into my PC and have muuuuuuch more games with muuuuuuch less problems and muuuuuch better performance.
                      and if you did that it would be muuuuuch better for most of us since we'd be spared reading your whining

Comment

Working...
                      X