Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MATE 1.14 Desktop Release Is Incoming

Phoronix: MATE 1.14 Desktop Release Is Incoming

Version 1.14 of MATE-Desktop was tagged in Git yesterday along with other MATE components...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news, MATE is an excellent alternative for those who detest the obtuse GNOME 3 way of doing things. I run RHEL 7 which ships with GNOME 3 as default, but thankfully MATE is available via the EPEL repo.

The only thing I think MATE needs to work on, is the Marco window manager. I get lots of screen tearing in games and video, even with Vsync enabled. This is with Nvidia proprietary drivers. The solution was to switch from Marco, to Openbox. Thankfully Openbox is a drop-in replacement (and a pretty damn good window manager in its own right).

Keep up the good work MATE team!

Comment

Will MATE reuse parts from gnome flashback? I ask that because it seems they are moving to GTK3...

Comment

Some code from gnome-panel was reused to fix custom background support in GTK 3.20 versions. Speaking of that, I just uploaded builds of most of MATE 1.14 built over Debian Ubnstable with GTK 3.20 (available from Experimental) to

My "UbuntuStudio_Legacy" GTK and icon themes are also there, plus my network-manager-gnome packages supporting the custom panel/menu themes MATE supports, and GTK 3.18 versions of those packages that have issues in GTK 3.18 when built over GTK 3.20.

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
          Will MATE reuse parts from gnome flashback? I ask that because it seems they are moving to GTK3...
          Well, our major showstopper for our transition to gtk3 is not in our hand, unfortunately.
          Steps to reproduce: Choose a transparency panel bg color. Switch marcos compositor off Most applets are crashing and you was ask to reload them.

The gnome-panel have exactly the same problem and gnome-flashback developer has submitted a fix for cairo which works great.
          But cairo guys do ignore us since November last year, sadly.
          This is the main reason why we can't declare the gtk3 version as stable.
          Beside that and some minor issues the gtk3 Mate version can be used, and is available for fedora and archlinux.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            The only thing I think MATE needs to work on, is the Marco window manager. I get lots of screen tearing in games and video, even with Vsync enabled. This is with Nvidia proprietary drivers. The solution was to switch from Marco, to Openbox. Thankfully Openbox is a drop-in replacement (and a pretty damn good window manager in its own right).
            You can also try to enable ForceCompositionPipeline and/or ForceFullCompositionPipeline MetaMode:
            Code:
            # xrandr | grep " connect"
            DVI-I-1 connected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
            HDMI-0 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 509mm x 286mm
            Code:
            /bin/nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="HDMI-0: nvidia-auto-select { ForceCompositionPipeline = On, ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"
            More info: https://forums.nux.ro/index.php?t=ms...=3536#msg_3536

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Great news, MATE is an excellent alternative for those who detest the obtuse GNOME 3 way of doing things. I run RHEL 7 which ships with GNOME 3 as default, but thankfully MATE is available via the EPEL repo.

Keep up the good work MATE team!

Just disable the (useless) bundled software COMPOSITOR that comes with Marco, and instead, use Compton, -your "screen tearing" issues will then disappear + compton is much more cpu-load friendly than marco's compositor.
              Last edited by scjet; 03 May 2016, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X