Here Is A $5 Fix To Cool Your Raspberry Pi 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsx724 View Post
    Fixed. I agree with you but theres no way to type that on US keyboard on the default keyboard. Maybe it's just laptops.
    Heh funny, on the Italian keyboard there's a key for it ° (shared with à and #). On the other hand, to write / we need to press Shift+7, which is VERY annoying in Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by ferry View Post

I think mixing metric and imperial units crashed the Mars Climate Orbiter (see Wikipedia). In fact metric is not the correct term, it is the International System of Units (SI), which consists of a (the) minimal set of base units from which all others are derived. So for instance for length there is only one unit (m), and not a multitude (inch, yard, mile). It not only makes sense to use SI for precision reasons in science, it just easier to use. And can prevent expensive mistakes like with the Orbiter.
      although to be fair, SI unit of temperature is the Kelvin.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisq View Post
        Or you could just get it from dealextreme or others that have the same thing for less than half, http://www.dx.com/p/aluminum-heat-si...er-3pcs-336768
        I mentioned LoverPi because they were the ones that sent over those thermal images and they are also the ones that provide me with a number of ARM boards. So by supporting them, also helping Phoronix ARM coverage.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by nocri View Post
          A little bit off topic, but Michel could you use metric units in your articles ? AFAIK it is easier for Americans to convert to imperial units on the fly as you are studying metric units in school as for the rest of the world ...
          Speaking as a *CANADIAN* (where we officially are "metric"), there only places where ^C makes any sense at all to me, is around 0 (freezing) and 100 (boiling). Anywhere off that, and ^F makes a lot more sense to me. I keep my furnace set to 72-73^F. Somewhat cool-ish. I have no idea what that would be in ^C.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

Speaking as a *CANADIAN* (where we officially are "metric"), there only places where ^C makes any sense at all to me, is around 0 (freezing) and 100 (boiling). Anywhere off that, and ^F makes a lot more sense to me. I keep my furnace set to 72-73^F. Somewhat cool-ish. I have no idea what that would be in ^C.
            I'm Canadian too and all I use is °C, the only reason I can even think of is you are 50+ years old and learned to use °F before they finished changing it in 1977, and never bothered to try to make sense of metric. The only people in Canada I know that use °F are all old. Imperial needs to die the death it deserves, its a horrible outdated system. There is a good reason why 95% of the world doesn't use it anymore.

Oh and for what it's worth, another easy thing to remember. -40°C = -40°F, at that temperature they are both the same value.

Comment

Originally posted by dsx724 View Post
              Fixed. I agree with you but theres no way to type that on US keyboard on the default keyboard. Maybe it's just laptops.
              Works also on the Polish layout :-) °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° and on German, English (british), Spanish, French, Swedish, Norwegian... not on Russian or Italian, or yeah, English (US)

note: this is only on GNU/Linux, other platforms don't have the fancy key combos.

Comment

Even as a European I've taken quite a liking to the imperial system.
                It's a nice brain teaser.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan Werner View Post
                  There are already several benchmarks of Pine+ on openbenchmarking.
                  Please DO use heatsink for Pine, latest BSP from @longsleep
                  It's absolutely worthless to run 'fire and forget' benchmarks on the Pine64+ now since the results depend heavily on both optimised heat dissipation (a heatsink or even a fan) and even more the thermal/throttling settings (same applies to all modern SoCs that are throttling candidates). There are no 'factory defaults' for Pine64+ since this is all community stuff and we're still discussing optimal settings.

At least the PTS is able to demonstrate how the benchmark scores you get depend on thermal conditions: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.p...d=3337#pid3337

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
                    From what I understand the new ODROID is about $/€/£ 5,- more expensive than the new Raspberry Pi 3, but performs much better. Why not just go for that then?
                    Odroid boards have horribly old kernels (usually fixed to one version) with almost no hope of ever getting an update.

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
                      From what I understand the new ODROID is about $/€/£ 5,- more expensive than the new Raspberry Pi 3, but performs much better. Why not just go for that then?
                      #1 it isn't just $5 more. The website I went to is asking for $16 shipping, which makes it $56.
                      #2 The Pi3 comes with built in Wifi and Bluetooth which saves you something like $10 to $15 on dongles, plus it frees USB ports.
                      #3 The Pi3 is actually open, so anyone can make a distro for it. As far as I know, the ODROID C2 has one distro with a really old kernel. The Amlogic S905 doesn't really work outside of Ubuntu that they supply.

And while it is nearly twice the speed of the Pi3, that's not why you buy one of these devices. I would need a lot more CPU power and ram to do anything worth it with the machine. If I need serious CPU power, I'll build something with a ITX motherboard.

Comment

Working...
                      X