Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.5-rc2 Brings A Surprising Amount Of Changes

Phoronix: Linux 4.5-rc2 Brings A Surprising Amount Of Changes

Linus Torvalds announced the release of Linux 4.5-rc2 this weekend as was expected as the next weekly test version of this new kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I read through the changelog and saw that there were several amdgpu patches. I just built this RC, rebooted, and ran some 3d benchmarks an the result is: a) double or quadruple the framerates that I got with RC1, and b) no more overheating. I have the same model R9 Fury that Michael excluded from the last round of benchmarks due to performance/stability problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Hackerpilot View Post
      I read through the changelog and saw that there were several amdgpu patches. I just built this RC, rebooted, and ran some 3d benchmarks an the result is: a) double or quadruple the framerates that I got with RC1, and b) no more overheating. I have the same model R9 Fury that Michael excluded from the last round of benchmarks due to performance/stability problems.
      Nothing like buying an expensive video card and bam! only 6 months later it's almost supported.
      But hey, if it works for you, enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Nothing like buying an expensive video card and bam! only 6 months later it's almost supported.
        But hey, if it works for you, enjoy!

The glass is half empty huh?

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post

The glass is half empty huh?
          Actually, no, it's not half-empty. I myself, value working software, so a barely working card would be an empty glass to me. Others value open software more and to them the same barely working card would be a full glass. However you look at it, there's no half-empty glass.

Comment

Don't feed the troll

Comment

A surprising *number* of changes... sorry, pet peeve :-)

Comment

With miffe's rc2 build suspend on my laptop doesn't work. With my rc1 build it works... Sure, it's an rc and I can't expect everything to work, but why is suspend the thing that keeps breaking all the time? The last time I tried a linux-zen 4.4 build, suspend was broken too.. (It starts to suspend and seems to do most of it, but then doesn't power off and can't be woken up in any way except using the power button to shutdown and reboot)

Comment

Working...
                X