Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Mutter Lands Support To Transform sRGB To HDR Outputs

Phoronix: GNOME Mutter Lands Support To Transform sRGB To HDR Outputs

Adding to the growing list of changes that is making September's GNOME 47 desktop release quite a delight, the Mutter compositor has merged another great feature...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this something that Plasma already does or it's a first thing for any DE?

Comment

Kudos to the devs working on this... graphical development in the DE space is insane. I dont personally like or use Gnome currently but fully respect the devs tackling these HDR problems!

Comment

GNOME is deprecated.
        Don't waste your time with this.

Comment

Gnome user here, this is wonderful!

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
            GNOME is deprecated.
            Sorry, that forum user is deprecated. Please ignore his comments.

Comment

Jargon translation: It takes sRGB images (being the pixels an application draws), converts it to linear (or the application draws linear directly? hard to tell from the writeup and Im not gonna bother to check the PR), does gamut mapping and (inverse-)tonemapping, then converts it to whatever HDR.

I do have a few questions to anyone who goes code splunking or in general

A) What tonemapper solution are they using? I personally use BT.2446 to good effect. but there are many inverse tonemapping possibilities.
              B) Does this temporarily or more hard-codedly assume that all SDR is sRGB transfer and primaries?
              C) what's the perf? I know a lot of this stuff can be done doing fixed function hardware, but gamut mapping and tonemapping can sometimes need to be more flexibly done.

Comment

What’s the status of the Wayland Color Management protocol? Will this feature be part of that? It would be nice to have this kind of support standardized for apps and the larger ecosystem after all of these years.

Comment

I hope this comes with a easy switch on / off and some kind of calibration option. I often get cases where some applications doesn't go well with "default hdr" and there also games that don't go well with hdr at all and need to be disabled while playing.

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
                    GNOME is deprecated.
                    It can't be deprecated, they have a shaman, sorry, 'professional shaman' as an executive director. That's gotta mean that it ain't deprecated, right?

Surely they know what they're doing. You just gotta believe!

Comment

Working...
                    X