Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVK Driver Lands New Platform Abstraction - Working Toward Allowing Other Kernel Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVK Driver Lands New Platform Abstraction - Working Toward Allowing Other Kernel Drivers

Phoronix: NVK Driver Lands New Platform Abstraction - Working Toward Allowing Other Kernel Drivers

Merged for Mesa 24.2 is a massive set of patches providing a new platform abstraction for NVK, the open-source NVIDIA Vulkan driver. With this new platform abstraction it begins to open the door toward running the NVK driver on alternative kernel (DRM) drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Then NVK will hopefully run on WSL2, which is good news.

Comment

They should call it XVK as a “any Vulkan” driver abstraction.

Comment

This is the first I have heard about the possibility of NVK running atop NVIDIA's open-source but out-of-tree kernel driver. Is that something being discussed somewhere, or just a theoretical future possibility?

Comment

Originally posted by marting View Post
          This is the first I have heard about the possibility of NVK running atop NVIDIA's open-source but out-of-tree kernel driver. Is that something being discussed somewhere, or just a theoretical future possibility?
          I thought NVK was running on the open kernel driver since day 1, which is how it could achieve pretty good performance already (thanks to reclocking on Turing+ GPUs).

Comment

Originally posted by marting View Post
            As far as I remember, OGK was actually supported for a little while during the early development of NVK, but that was dropped quite a while back.

Comment

Can this abstraction be used by nvk and radv to work on Windows? Not planning to use Windows, but that might improve Vulkan situation there.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                Can this abstraction be used by nvk and radv to work on Windows? Not planning to use Windows, but that might improve Vulkan situation there.

Seems like a somewhat separate but also maybe related project?

Comment

https://mastodon.gamedev.place/@gfxs...79926724151376 RADV on Windows 👀

Comment

Really hope this can sit side by side with the proprietary driver eventually

Comment

Working...
                    X