No announcement yet.

Box64 v0.3 Brings Support For Emulating x86_64 Binaries With AVX/AVX2 On ARM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box64 v0.3 Brings Support For Emulating x86_64 Binaries With AVX/AVX2 On ARM

Phoronix: Box64 v0.3 Brings Support For Emulating x86_64 Binaries With AVX/AVX2 On ARM

Box64 v0.3 is now available as the newest feature release to this user-space x86_64 emulator for Linux binaries on AArch64 (ARM64) hosts. Box64 is one of several promising projects in this area for being able to run x86_64 games and applications under ARM64 with great speed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Which of those two emulators are the best? Why do we want two? Which one should a normal user use?

Comment

Originally posted by juxuanu View Post
      Which of those two emulators are the best? Why do we want two? Which one should a normal user use?
      Pi-Apps installs Box86/64, that seems to be preferred.

Comment

I'd really love an article about the structural differences and similarities of these two approaches. Or 3-way interviews with the heads behind the projects. I could imagine they have strong opinions on their project and the other's.

Comment

Originally posted by juxuanu View Post
          box64 is still the more complete one, FEXemu has some wins in some games, but most people just default to box86 (I have seen some people stating that fex can be better for some newer games on some of the android gaming stuff.)

Comment

Originally posted by madinside View Post
            I'd really love an article about the structural differences and similarities of these two approaches. Or 3-way interviews with the heads behind the projects. I could imagine they have strong opinions on their project and the other's.
            How about like the better days (the past) and have a 3-way boxing match where the losers delete their project?

Comment

I don't know about the differences in performance.
              But box86/64 has support for running on Android (using Termux), while FEX is more strict and only runs on Linux.
              Applications like mobox and winlator for running Windows games on Android are based on box64 (+ wine) for this reason.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                But box86/64 has support for running on Android (using Termux), while FEX is more strict and only runs on Linux.
                Applications like mobox and winlator for running Windows games on Android are based on box64 (+ wine) for this reason.
                Performance will be bad, because in the tech community's eyes, only macOS can ever run x86_64 apps well on ARM.

Comment

That’s a project that should have strong sponsors as it paves a way to not using x86 anymore.
                  I hope processors only sold by a duopole are a thing of the past soon. That’s why as an Intel almost hater, I welcome them in the GPU market with a big smile.
                  We need ARM and RISCV SoCs to take over the market and this tool is needed for a smooth transition.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                    Last I checked FEX works fine on proot too. I suppose something could have changed but I doubt it would have. Unless you mean specifically using termux's wine. However as far as I know most of the "window emulators" are also just using a proot.

Comment

Working...
                    X