Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hyperscalers Begin Working On CentOS Stream Hyperscale 10

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hyperscalers Begin Working On CentOS Stream Hyperscale 10

    Phoronix: Hyperscalers Begin Working On CentOS Stream Hyperscale 10

    With CentOS Stream 10 beginning to take shape as the basis for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 10, the Hyperscale Special Interest Group (SIG) has begun crafting CentOS Stream Hyperscale 10...

    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

  • #2
    Remember when CentOS stood for Community Enterprise Operating System, and now it's neither a community project nor suitable for the enterprise?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mxan View Post
      Remember when CentOS stood for Community Enterprise Operating System, and now it's neither a community project nor suitable for the enterprise?
      Funny write that, it is not community project anymore, directly to the blog post about result from this CentOS community special interest group

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mxan View Post
        Remember when CentOS stood for Community Enterprise Operating System, and now it's neither a community project nor suitable for the enterprise?
        Old Cent, the Community consisted of mostly RHEL Freeloaders. The only goal of the old CentOS was to Freeload RHEL.

        New Cent, the Community consists of mostly Enterprise Developers. The goal of the new CentOS is to offer a semi-stable rolling environment so the Enterprise Community can prepare for future Enterprise environments and help architect what goes into the next RHEL version that all the freeloaders will use.

        Fedora is an OS Development OS so it sucks as an Enterprise Development OS due to moving too fast and RHEL is an Enterprise Deployment Platform so it sucks as a Future Envionment Development OS due to moving slow like Antarctic Molasses. CentOS Stream is the compromise.

        There are all sorts of Freeloader options like Rocky, Alma, and Oracle if you're too paranoid to give RHEL your email address for their free edition.

        This is how CentOS used to be:

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

          Old Cent, the Community consisted of mostly RHEL Freeloaders. The only goal of the old CentOS was to Freeload RHEL.

          New Cent, the Community consists of mostly Enterprise Developers. The goal of the new CentOS is to offer a semi-stable rolling environment so the Enterprise Community can prepare for future Enterprise environments and help architect what goes into the next RHEL version that all the freeloaders will use.

          Fedora is an OS Development OS so it sucks as an Enterprise Development OS due to moving too fast and RHEL is an Enterprise Deployment Platform so it sucks as a Future Envionment Development OS due to moving slow like Antarctic Molasses. CentOS Stream is the compromise.

          There are all sorts of Freeloader options like Rocky, Alma, and Oracle if you're too paranoid to give RHEL your email address for their free edition.

          This is how CentOS used to be:
          Those freeloaders contributed more to the project than Red Hat(e) or any hyperscaler could ever hope to contibribute. They submitted almost (but not quite) infinite bug reports, spread the word by word of mouth and taught their friends how to use it. Not only this but the users actually wrote the code which Red Hat(e) shamelessly ripped and included in their "operating system". Red Hat(e) and the hyperscalers are the freeloaders. Red Hat(e) even has the cajones to charge for their "product" when anyone can just use Ubuntu LTS for free and get a far superior, more well-supported and most importantly more-updated OS that actually supports updating between major versions.

          IBM ruined Red Hat(e).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ol3geezer View Post

            Those freeloaders contributed more to the project than Red Hat(e) or any hyperscaler could ever hope to contribute..
            I don't agree with the term but all the enterprise vendors contribute the vast majority of code to the Linux kernel and all other core components including GCC, Glibc, Systemd and so on and this has been the case for well over a decade. It should be no surprise that people who are paid to work on projects full time contribute more than people working on weekends or as hobbyists after their day job. I have done both and can speak from experience here.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ol3geezer View Post

              Those freeloaders contributed more to the project than Red Hat(e) or any hyperscaler could ever hope to contibribute. They submitted almost (but not quite) infinite bug reports, spread the word by word of mouth and taught their friends how to use it. Not only this but the users actually wrote the code which Red Hat(e) shamelessly ripped and included in their "operating system". Red Hat(e) and the hyperscalers are the freeloaders. Red Hat(e) even has the cajones to charge for their "product" when anyone can just use Ubuntu LTS for free and get a far superior, more well-supported and most importantly more-updated OS that actually supports updating between major versions.

              IBM ruined Red Hat(e).
              beside the part where you say that Ubuntu is superior, the rest is 100% accurate

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mxan View Post
                Remember when CentOS stood for Community Enterprise Operating System, and now it's neither a community project nor suitable for the enterprise?
                Yeah, it only became a community after Centos Stream. before then it was just repackaging and could not actually be a community as that would diverge from RHEL.

                Now it is a community that is both additive to Red hat, but also can contribute to RHEL and Centos Stream.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ol3geezer View Post

                  Those freeloaders contributed more to the project than Red Hat(e) or any hyperscaler could ever hope to contibribute.

                  IBM ruined Red Hat(e).
                  Yes, I'm sure the "community" contributed a lot more code than the thousands of full-time paid Red Hat software and quality engineers . I'm also sure that you rip out all of the Red Hat funded bits in Ubuntu when you use it right?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

                    Yes, I'm sure the "community" contributed a lot more code than the thousands of full-time paid Red Hat software and quality engineers . I'm also sure that you rip out all of the Red Hat funded bits in Ubuntu when you use it right?
                    Quality engineers who say "yes" to systemd migration

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X