Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 128 Now Available With A Fix For A 25 Year Old Bug Report

Phoronix: Firefox 128 Now Available With A Fix For A 25 Year Old Bug Report

Mozilla Firefox 128.0 is now available for download ahead of the official release announcement due out in the coming hours...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great... now can we please have modal highlight searches working again? They have been broken for many years as well.

Also...
    Firefox now proxies DNS by default in SOCKS v5 mode
    Isn't that the *only* way it was ever supposed to work?

Comment

Firefox 128 Now Available With A Fix For A 25 Year Old Bug Report
      and this weekend i installed new brake lines in my 25 year old cherokee xj... same xj that i remember going with my parents to buy, new, way back then which was then given to me when i graduated high school years later... god how time flies.

Comment

Originally posted by pieman View Post
        and this weekend i installed new brake lines in my 25 year old cherokee xj... same xj that i remember going with my parents to buy, new, way back then which was then given to me when i graduated high school years later... god how time flies.
        I like the old Cherokees. The boxy style has aged better than many newer Jeep offerings. I thought the squinty eyed last version was no bueno.

Comment

Remembering the fiasco with version 125, I'm not going to update until it's announced officially.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
            Remembering the fiasco with version 125, I'm not going to update until it's announced officially.
            what was that about?

Comment

Yeah, I think I hit on that bug a couple times myself. Reading through it, there were several main problems for it to be solved...
              • The behaviour for textarea sizing was never really completely defined
              • the specification itself never really mentioned how to deal with variable width fonts (those are supposed to report average glyph width, but many people actually expect either M or W width)
              • The way the competition (IE first, Chromium next) did it was never really well defined either
              • reserving space for scroll bars can wreak havoc on performance due to content overflow
              So, while Firefox rendered it wrong, the main problem was that it never rendered it the "same wrong" as the competition.
              Also, the bug was complex and several parts of it were solved during those 25 years (the bug mentioned textarea's rows and columns, one was solved 24 years ago - the other lingered longer because variable width fonts).
              So, this is actually a superbug that needed a LOT of heavy lifting to completely solved. IT may also be reopened one day, as while the behaviour's fix is the result of an industry consensus, it may change in time...

Comment

Not 25 years old, but the text/* MIME type bug is 22 years old, and definitely more noticeable if you usually look at code diffs or the like!

Comment

Very nice to see very old bugs being finally fixed!

But fuck you Mozilla!

If you weren't pouring / wasting so much money into the CEO's salary alone, more of these bugs would've been fixed sooner.

Comment

This is really a Netscape bug that clearly has been inherited all the way down

Comment

Working...
                    X