Fedora Workstation 41 Install Media Will Ship With Wayland-Only GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Workstation 41 Install Media Will Ship With Wayland-Only GNOME

Phoronix: Fedora Workstation 41 Install Media Will Ship With Wayland-Only GNOME

Fedora Workstation 41 has been granted approval for its installation media (ISOs) to ship with only Wayland GNOME support with the X11 support removed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bug zapping season is going to be good this time around with that greater focus.

Comment

All the outcomes from this sound wonderful

- More focus on bug fixing Wayland issues
      - More drive for NVidida to improve drivers (I've heard 555 beta has been big improvement)
      - Less waste on obsolete tech
      - More demand for Linux supported hardware (e.g. AMD/Intel)

Then those that it doesn't work for still have plenty choice of different distro's, package archive, stay on 40, or more

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
        Bug zapping season is going to be good this time around with that greater focus.
        I'd say it'll be pretty boring

Comment

Did they fix screen readers already? Because otherwise Fedora is loosing some users with that move, I assume.

Comment

Makes sense for Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
              Makes sense for Fedora.
              I'll bet that by the time CentOS Stream 11/ RHEL 11 land, almost nobody will be using X11.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJackiNonster View Post
                Did they fix screen readers already? Because otherwise Fedora is loosing some users with that move, I assume.
                What do you mean specifically?
                According to https://github.com/splondike/wayland...main/README.md things appear to work.

Do you have a bug report?

Comment

does this mean i will need to upgrade to wayland on my old 4/260?

Comment

Originally posted by ol3geezer View Post
                    does this mean i will need to upgrade to wayland on my old 4/260?
                    "All of the GNOME X11 packages will remain available in the repositories but not be pre-installed anymore."

You still have time.

Comment

Working...
                    X