Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Mint 22 Aims To Be Out This Month After Fixing Many Bugs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux Mint 22 Aims To Be Out This Month After Fixing Many Bugs

    Phoronix: Linux Mint 22 Aims To Be Out This Month After Fixing Many Bugs

    Ubuntu-based Linux Mint 22 aims for release this month after a busier than usual period of bug fixing...

    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

  • #2
    Aha! First!

    I would prefer "Linux Mint 24".

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by drastic View Post
      Aha! First!

      I would prefer "Linux Mint 24".
      I'd prefer it if Mint copied the Ubuntu versioning like practically every other Ubuntu fork.

      Mint 22 = Ubuntu 24
      Mint 21 = Ubuntu 22
      Mint 20 = Ubuntu 20

      That's gonna confuse people who are used to seeing Ubuntu Fork XX and just assume that aligns to Ubuntu Repository XX or tips and help for Ubuntu XX.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        I'd prefer it if Mint copied the Ubuntu versioning like practically every other Ubuntu fork.
        I would still prefer Major.Minor numbering, like this:
        Mint 24.0 = Ubuntu 24.04
        Mint 24.1 = Ubuntu 24.04
        Mint 24.2 = Ubuntu 24.04
        Mint 24.3 = Ubuntu 24.04

        Comment


        • #5
          very great and critical OS, but the versioning scheme of this (and most others) need to be fixed before this festers.

          1.0 is the final version ALWAYS. once you hit 1.0 then you're done and you're software no longer receives updates. this is common sense. ideally this would be something like 0.9.3.4 where its 0.generation.release.patch.

          generation: all versions under this share more or less the same setup. systemd, apt vs apt-get, new compression etc
          release: the "24" in the current linux mint nonsensical versioning scheme
          patch: the patch version, self-explanatory

          systemd ruined perfectly sane version numbers and i hate to see these projects fall down the same rabbit hole. just be sane, people.

          dont even get me started on these cringe date-based versions that ubuntu does and make no sense. you cant release multiple versions at once this way and its just braindead so they have to use things like "xubuntu" or "lubuntu" which is so much worse.
          Last edited by ol3geezer; 07 July 2024, 10:46 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ol3geezer View Post
            systemd ruined perfectly sane version numbers and i hate to see these projects fall down the same rabbit hole. just be sane, people.
            I'm not a fan of that form of versioning, either. At that point just use date-based versioning and be done with it. At the rate Firefox is going it'll look like a damn Dutton show within the decade. Firefox 1883, Firefox 1921.

            Comment


            • #7
              I gotta say, I ran Cinnamon for the first time in nearly 5 or 6 years the other day with that CentOS Max live image and it was really nice. If Cinnamon did HDR I could see myself using it over Plasma.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ol3geezer View Post
                ...once you hit 1.0 then you're done and you're software no longer receives updates.
                Congratulations would be in order; that's the single most ignorant thing about software that I've ever seen someone attempt to claim.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ol3geezer View Post
                  very great and critical OS, but the versioning scheme of this (and most others) need to be fixed before this festers.

                  1.0 is the final version ALWAYS. once you hit 1.0 then you're done and you're software no longer receives updates. this is common sense. ideally this would be something like 0.9.3.4 where its 0.generation.release.patch.

                  generation: all versions under this share more or less the same setup. systemd, apt vs apt-get, new compression etc
                  release: the "24" in the current linux mint nonsensical versioning scheme
                  patch: the patch version, self-explanatory

                  systemd ruined perfectly sane version numbers and i hate to see these projects fall down the same rabbit hole. just be sane, people.

                  dont even get me started on these cringe date-based versions that ubuntu does and make no sense. you cant release multiple versions at once this way and its just braindead so they have to use things like "xubuntu" or "lubuntu" which is so much worse.
                  LOL, what? Treating 1.0 as the first stable public release is pretty common. What you describe certainly is not. Also, you may be surprised to learn this, but most software projects in existence were beyond 1.0 before systemd was a thing. I'm starting to think these are just trolling attempts because they don't make logical sense.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Assuming I'm correct about Mint switching to a more frequent kernel update schedule, then this is quite possibly one of the most important updates they have ever had.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X