Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg Adds Support For Animated JPEG-XL

Phoronix: FFmpeg Adds Support For Animated JPEG-XL

In addition to Apple revealing this week support is coming for the JPEG-XL image format in their Safari web browser, another step forward for this royalty-free image codec is FFmpeg now able to decode animated JPEG-XL files...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At least when FFmpeg next official release comes out I hope Firefox will support JPEG-XL via FFmpeg.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
      At least when FFmpeg next official release comes out I hope Firefox will support JPEG-XL via FFmpeg.
      I hope that too!
      If Google doesn't forbid / blackmails them not to.

Comment

Define "support".

Currently Firefox (nightly) kinda supports JPEG-XL except:
        • No color profiles support
        • No progressive decoding support
        • No alpha-channel support (that's very important)
        • No animation support (though I doubt anyone wants it - you've got video codecs for that)
        • No HDR support (that's a deal breaker at least for me)
        And it doesn't look like Firefox developers are too keen to add these features considering near complete silence in the respectful bug reports.

Apple's support is not complete either but they have a ton of cash to burn, so it's just a matter of their will. Firefox with its slowly dissipating market share doesn't have too much leeway.
        Last edited by avis; 08 June 2023, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Define "support".

• No animation support (though I doubt anyone wants it - you've got video codecs for that)
          And it doesn't look like Firefox developers are too keen to add these features considering near complete silence in the respectful bug reports.

Apple's support is not complete either but they have a ton of cash to burn, so it's just a matter of their will. Firefox with its slowly dissipating market share doesn't have too much leeway.
          most of these are already solved with patches sitting in their tracker, a good chunk of firefox forks support these (HDR is buggy on waterfox though) the rest work fine

Comment

I think the authors of JPEG-XL shoud add full fallback JPEG decoding as to their library (JPEG-XL is mostly a superset of JPEG anyway).

That would help to alleviate the political backpressure of folks saying that browser vendors are reluctant to add new libraries, because then there's more dependencies to support.

With JPEG-XL taking care of JPEG as well, they could then simply drop their JPEG software and rely on JPEG-XL to decode both formats.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Define "support".

Any support so that the end-user can use the feature/format. End-users do not tend to use beta versions for their daily workflow (Nightly). Even so if Nightly does support JPEG-XL it's Mozillas own implementation, while now there is an available path for Mozilla skip their own implementation and use FFmpeg solution instead (thus support via FFmpeg).

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post
                I think the authors of JPEG-XL shoud add full fallback JPEG decoding as to their library (JPEG-XL is mostly a superset of JPEG anyway).

That would help to alleviate the political backpressure of folks saying that browser vendors are reluctant to add new libraries, because then there's more dependencies to support.

With JPEG-XL taking care of JPEG as well, they could then simply drop their JPEG software and rely on JPEG-XL to decode both formats.
                Let's just say this is not an issue. Browsers already support JPEG, GIF, PNG, SVG, BMP and Web Fonts (which are often used to paint web site controls) via different libraries - just adding a new library is not something anyone cares about.

Comment

Any support so that the end-user can use the feature/format. End-users do not tend to use beta versions for their daily workflow (Nightly). Even so if Nightly does support JPEG-XL it's Mozillas own implementation, while now there is an available path for Mozilla skip their own implementation and use FFmpeg solution instead (thus support via FFmpeg).
                  Are you sure 1) FFMpeg supports all the missing features 2) FFMpeg's implementation is even suitable/feasible for Firefox?

AFAIK Firefox has used FFMpeg only to demux MP4 and decode VP9 (not sure about that) and H.264.

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post
                    They are doing that, and not only that - they are working on a highly capable JPEG encoder too.

Comment

Working...
                    X