• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, guys, you don't understand, the font is different because it targets:

... the typographically underserved low-vision developer audience
    which clearly does what no other font can do

Comment

Looks very similar to Fira Code monospaced font. Notice the slash through the zero.

Other differences are the "g" style and width/height of the font, fira code font being more narrow.

I agree, Courier is also a very good font, used primarily here for envelope mailing addresses and (enscript) text printouts. Used to use Courier for terminal font, and is usually boasted as the de facto font of all fonts. (eg. See Wikipedia) I now only use FIra Code font for the past years, light weight reduces glare while increasing readability, along with distinguished "1", "l", and "O",zero characters.

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
        Guys, guys, you don't understand, the font is different because it targets:

which clearly does what no other font can do
        Spoken like someone that hasn't had to tell programmers their UI sucks because it doesn't take into account visually impaired users who may need to increase font, icon, button, or visual indicator sizes. There's a hell of a lot of users out there that are at least mildly visually impaired whether from age, disease, accident, or birth deformity. We all want visual elements that can be resized for comfortable viewing.

Yes, many monospace fonts look indistinguishable. Yes, there's a lot of them out there. How many of those font originators have the power to write those improved fonts into the hardware's support firmware so that no special software or extra data (like font files) is needed in the console other than picking which built in font to display from the boot loader and making it consistent across new hardware releases?

There's a vast library of software (let alone built in hardware/firmware fonts) out there that doesn't take into account resizeable UI elements. Dealing with those programs is an exercise in frustration for people with visual problems even if they don't use screen readers.

Comment

#BlackFontsMatter

Comment

I think it's a decent looking font, but it kind of looks like all the other mono fonts lol

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Spoken like someone that hasn't had to tell programmers their UI sucks
              Everyone, including programmers, tell other programmers that their UI sucks.

Still doesn't explain what these guys are doing so differently. Cool, it fits onto firmware, so make that the focus for he introduction. "Underserved" is such a stupid word to use.

Comment

There's a hell of a lot of users out there that are at least mildly visually impaired whether from age, disease, accident, or birth deformity. We all want visual elements that can be resized for comfortable viewing.
                So they made their font bigger?

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

So they made their font bigger?
                  Learn to read first.

Comment

Learn to read first.
                    Did that really need a sarcasm tag?
                    Apparently so...

Comment

Honestly I don't get the hate, this font is extremely legible, in fact impressively so. It's targeting a specific audience as well which I can totally support.

All in all, yes it's another font, so what? It does what it does bloody well.

Side note I use consolas-g with ligatures (which is important for ME to write code) but can't imagine ligatures make things easier for visual impairments, or atleast not without some thorough design.

Comment

Working...
                      X