Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Cleans Up GSP Firmware Binary License

Phoronix: NVIDIA Cleans Up GSP Firmware Binary License

With yesterday's NVIDIA R535 Linux driver beta one of the unlisted changes with this driver update is revising the driver license around the firmware handling to make it more explicit around permitting the GPU System Processor (GSP) firmware binaries to make it easier for redistribution and use by the Nouveau open-source kernel driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news, congrats for nvidia users who should get better support on linux if they choose to use mesa!

Comment

Wooohhhhoooo!!! This is great! To be honest I will probably always run the proprietary driver as Nvidia + proprietary driver still is the most performant and stable setup I have had with Linux. That said this is great progress and will lead to a much better out of the box experience for Linux in the long run anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
        Wooohhhhoooo!!! This is great! To be honest I will probably always run the proprietary driver as Nvidia + proprietary driver still is the most performant and stable setup I have had with Linux. That said this is great progress and will lead to a much better out of the box experience for Linux in the long run anyway.
        Never say never (or in this case, never say always!) Just look at how much progress AMD's graphics drivers have made in just a few short years; if Nvidia truly takes this effort seriously the landscape could change for the better in the span of only a couple product generations.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
          as Nvidia + proprietary driver still is the most performant and stable setup I have had with Linux
          That's highly debatable.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

That's highly debatable.
            Read the message, it's the most stable setup he has experienced, and frankly mine as well after using a 5700 XT and a RX 560 as my main setup for half a year each

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post

Read the message, it's the most stable setup he has experienced, and frankly mine as well after using a 5700 XT and a RX 560 as my main setup for half a year each
              I've read it and I still question it because I've used both Nvidia and AMD and I've had a shit ton of problems with the former, especially with KDE.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

I've read it and I still question it because I've used both Nvidia and AMD and I've had a shit ton of problems with the former, especially with KDE.
                Maybe the problems are not with the Nvidia device or code but in the KDE code?

Just sayin....

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                  Maybe the problems are not with the Nvidia device or code but in the KDE code?

Just sayin....
                  Would not say that alone you can trigger major issue with Nvidia running 2 X11 server and switching between them or switching between framebuffer console and X11. These are issues AMD and Intel and broadcom don't suffer from. There are problems that have happened over the years due to how Nvidia hooks into the Linux graphics stack.

Also there is something else here. KDE project has a full time paid Nvidia employee working on their code base with internal access inside Nvidia. Gnome does not have this so if any solution should be Nvidia friendly it KDE.

Comment

Maybe by OpenBSD 8.0 they will have a working Nouveau driver. Not holding my breath. Heck my current laptop can't even suspend on AMDGPU.

Comment

Working...
                    X