Intel Arc Graphics A750/A770 Quick Linux Competition With The Radeon RX 7600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by patrick1946 View Post
    Maybe if you still run X11 but on my Fedora Silverblue I never got it to run reliable with Wayland. It is a discreet GPU in my company laptop and I don't really need it. So I don't want to invest to much time to make it work.
    Does anything run reliably with Wayland?

All i see is complaints about Wayland from users of various video cards.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      Yeah but there is a army of Wayland purists that say they are all wrong and Wayland is perfect in every way and people lying about the issues.... OH and Wayland apparently is the default WM/Compositor for all linux distro's! ............

Comment

Yes, everything except Nvidia.

​​​​​

Comment

My desktop runs very well. I have some trouble with Teams in the last time but I think that is not Wayland related. And most of my applications now are using Wayland directly. I think Wayland is in a good path and very usable.

Comment

I know many on this forum will hate what I am about to say, but if you want the best overall experience on Linux, you have to use an Nvidia card with the proprietary drivers.

For gaming and video editing, they tend to give the most stable and reliable performance.

For compute, you can pick up a cheap, low end Quadro, like the old Fermi based one I have.
            Sadly, even for daily usage. Intel is slow (and has incomplete drivers) and AMD is unstable.

Closed-source and lack of full DRM/KMS support are the only two disadvantages of NVIDIA.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
              you are the one who told me that intel is the new gold in the opensource world...
              now watch yourself...
              nothing I have said here has contradicted what I have said in the past, the intel team has so far been doing a stellar job, this is so far the only major issue I have with it. in which it's not like it's too late to be remedied.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
                If some scrappy underdog with no prior experience was trying to enter the space, the results would be the same,
                This is not really true. Recently I red about some chinese-made GPU from manufacturer Moore Threads. It is very potent on paper, matching specs of RTX 3060Ti, But at that time it was supporting only DX9 and very limited number of games. And even in these games it was like 3 times slower than RTX 3060Ti.

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
                IWhen Intel, once biggest company in the PC hardware space and with over a decade in integrated graphics experience shows this result and says, 'Buy our great gaming hardware!', terrible is a word that comes to mind.​

ARC in fact is very mature on Windows. How many ppl are gaming on Linux? 1%? Less? I would say linux gaming is not a priority for them. But outside of gaming Arc is doing very well even on Linux. Everything needs to be taken in proportion.

Comment

Originally posted by anth View Post
                  The i860 was used as a graphics accelerator in workstations in the early 1990s. The i740 was created for graphics cards using the AGP slot in the late 1990s. Larrabee was meant to be released as a 3D graphics card in 2010.
                  Alright, you got me there. I should have said re-entry into the modern dedicated graphics space

Personally, I'm considering picking up an Arc card for a new workstation I'm speccing out. I don't really play any games, and as much as I've enjoyed my time with NVIDIA devices I'm okay with moving on. And if things fail, I have a handful of 1070s to fallback on. Or I'll just keep using the 1070 and wait to see what happens with Battlemage and the 2024 GPI market state.

Cheers,
                  Mike

Comment

I'm running Wayland daily and it has been very reliable for me. AMD GPU on desktop. and Intel iGPU in notebook, lots of less problems than with X11. Points I especially appreciate are painless hotplugging of displays with different DPI (eg beamers or big TVs at presentations) and often more fluid experience without tearing at all. Never got anything close with either X11 or nvidia or both.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                      Closed-source and lack of full DRM/KMS support are the only two disadvantages of NVIDIA.
                      How is closed source a disadvantage?

Who know the inner workings of an NVIDIA GPU better than NVIDIA?

I don't get this obsession people have with drivers needing to be open source.

I wonder if the people that demand that all drivers be open source play any closed source proprietary games or use closed sourced proprietary software like Resolve or Lightworks?

Why is it OK for one piece of software to be closed source and another has to be open source?

What if Intel, AMD and NVIDIA all said that going forward all their new hardware would only work with closed source drivers, would these same people stop buying any new hardware and just stick with legacy hardware?

Comment

Working...
                      X