Intel Arc Graphics A750/A770 Quick Linux Competition With The Radeon RX 7600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mroche View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks these benchmark results on their own aren't... terrible?
    The aren't terrible, but the fact that so many things don't work or run very poorly using the Arc cards in Linux is ... well sort of .... sad today.

I mean, outside of Arc, Intel does a pretty good job trying to be supportive of Linux. I think maybe they missed an opportunity, especially when Linux doesn't exactly want a love affair with Nvidia (in Windows land, going up against Nvidia is a bigger climb). Hoping Intel can turn this around.

Comment

The results in a couple of the Unigine benchmarks shows a hardware that is on par with AMD and Nvidia. One can wonder the impact on the market if the Arc cards were launched with mature drivers.

But when you stop to think that those cards were delayed for months (maybe a year?), and still launched like that, make you realize they are wise in hold off a second generation until the drivers were at least 90% of the competition, otherwise sales will be as abysmal as they are right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
        The A750 is $200.
        regional pricing is a bit of a pain that many dont seem to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
          I would be ashamed to sell products that give such bad user experience as seen on Michael's screenshots, and I know that those problems persist on Windows as well. Doesn't Intel have any QA department?
          All I’ve seen from reviewers were praising Intel’s Windows drivers for quickly addressing issues. Intel has been transparent in regards to their drivers. While AMD failed to even acknowledge the driver issues for the RX 5000 series for 6 months. I’d rather buy a product that someone confirmed they’re improving than from a company who ignores their customers.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
            I know many on this forum will hate what I am about to say, but if you want the best overall experience on Linux, you have to use an Nvidia card with the proprietary drivers.

For gaming and video editing, they tend to give the most stable and reliable performance.

For compute, you can pick up a cheap, low end Quadro, like the old Fermi based one I have.
            Maybe if you still run X11 but on my Fedora Silverblue I never got it to run reliable with Wayland. It is a discreet GPU in my company laptop and I don't really need it. So I don't want to invest to much time to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
              I know many on this forum will hate what I am about to say, but if you want the best overall experience on Linux, you have to use an Nvidia card with the proprietary drivers.

For gaming and video editing, they tend to give the most stable and reliable performance.

For compute, you can pick up a cheap, low end Quadro, like the old Fermi based one I have.
              I can't say the same. Almost five years using NVIDIA GPUs and I had to fight at least twice a month to get a proper experience without bugs. The problem with Intel GPUs is the Vulkan driver, it's still crap compared to RADV.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks these benchmark results on their own aren't... terrible?
                You aren't the only person who thinks that. There are positive comments about ARC around the net.

I personally don't agree, because six years into their discrete graphics effort, and over a year after these delayed cards released, half of the benchmarks demonstrate bugged performance, and several others couldn't be run because of crashing or misrendering. If some scrappy underdog with no prior experience was trying to enter the space, the results would be the same, but my perception of it would be different (still wouldn't buy bugged hardware). When Intel, once biggest company in the PC hardware space and with over a decade in integrated graphics experience shows this result and says, 'Buy our great gaming hardware!', terrible is a word that comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  if intel doesnt add HUC support to XE driver for DG2, or sparse for i915, they will have effectively killed their future prospects in the linux ecosystem. that being said, I do think intel kernel devs just didnt realize how important VM_BIND is (needed for sparse residency allegedly) for arc gpus, so I still have fairly high hopes that they will decide to go one route or another. I would prefer XE since I would ofc rather be one the newer and cooler driver.
                  it's a shame that HUC is needed, but at least for some people it wont be, since IIRC it is only needed for HEVC encoding (probably due to licensing rather then technological). though IIRC some people have reported it needed for h264 encoding too, which would break a lot of use cases (Jellyfin/Plex, streaming to platforms other then YT for instance). AV1 hwenc should work without it.
                  Either way, intel needs to give the first gen arc buyers a complete package, or they are going to tell everyone to avoid arc like a plague.
                  you are the one who told me that intel is the new gold in the opensource world...

now watch yourself...
                  Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Intel's first foray into the dedicated GPU space
                    The i860 was used as a graphics accelerator in workstations in the early 1990s. The i740 was created for graphics cards using the AGP slot in the late 1990s. Larrabee was meant to be released as a 3D graphics card in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                      The release date was nearly a year ago and those cards are still not fully usable.
                      They are putting ALL of their focus on improving the windows drivers atm from what I've seen.

It be cool if Phoronix would give us a Windows vs Linux Intel driver comparison for these cards because I think there is a major difference.

Comment

Working...
                      X