No announcement yet.

Intel Arc Graphics A750/A770 Quick Linux Competition With The Radeon RX 7600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Arc Graphics A750/A770 Quick Linux Competition With The Radeon RX 7600

Phoronix: Intel Arc Graphics A750/A770 Quick Linux Competition With The Radeon RX 7600

For those wondering how the performance of Intel Arc Graphics is relative to the newly-launched AMD Radeon RX 7600 and other recent graphics cards, here are a couple of benchmarks for the Arc Graphics using the new Linux 6.3 stable kernel paired with Mesa 23.2-dev for the latest open-source OpenGL and Vulkan drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be nice to add Zink to the OpenGL benchmark, nowadays Zink runs well on I/N/A's Vulkan driver

Comment

The release date was nearly a year ago and those cards are still not fully usable.

Comment

**looks at 2nd screenshot**

And those effects right there are why I didn't get NFS Unbound

These results are why I've never been an early adopter and why I opted for the 6700 XT over the A770 when I upgraded my GPU earlier this year (they were the same price at the time). Based on their specs I was expecting a bit more from the Arcs. Hopefully Intel will get it all together in the next generation or two as well as they'll copy the AMD Fine Wine driver strategy.

I'm just trying to be glass half full.

Comment

if intel doesnt add HUC support to XE driver for DG2, or sparse for i915, they will have effectively killed their future prospects in the linux ecosystem. that being said, I do think intel kernel devs just didnt realize how important VM_BIND is (needed for sparse residency allegedly) for arc gpus, so I still have fairly high hopes that they will decide to go one route or another. I would prefer XE since I would ofc rather be one the newer and cooler driver.

it's a shame that HUC is needed, but at least for some people it wont be, since IIRC it is only needed for HEVC encoding (probably due to licensing rather then technological). though IIRC some people have reported it needed for h264 encoding too, which would break a lot of use cases (Jellyfin/Plex, streaming to platforms other then YT for instance). AV1 hwenc should work without it.

Either way, intel needs to give the first gen arc buyers a complete package, or they are going to tell everyone to avoid arc like a plague.

Comment

INTEL ARC A770
            16gb costs same more or less as rx 6750 xt. While later has 4 gigs of ram less, it no longer 8 gig AND beats in ARC in 4k...
            Intel does not compete with anything on price yet.
            I already have 5700XT with 8 gigs, for last 3.5 years. No point upgrading for anything below A770. Prices are a shit show. What i am willing to spend does barely upgrade my existing hardware for device that cost me slightly more 3 years ago(was lucky to get it at almost MSRP), 2 generations ago.

I was waiting for more than half year to make upgrade, I will wait longer.
            I also scout ebay for used GPU, but people are smart, and don't sell anything on less than 66% of original price, and I am not interested to pay more than 2/3 of original price, because of many reasons. People are smart, because they see same, shitshow, and they are not looking to sell something relatively A OK stuff, like 6800 or 6800XT, since next step is 7900xt, which is bad performance price ratio and 7900xtx is blowing budgets.

Comment

I know many on this forum will hate what I am about to say, but if you want the best overall experience on Linux, you have to use an Nvidia card with the proprietary drivers.

For gaming and video editing, they tend to give the most stable and reliable performance.

For compute, you can pick up a cheap, low end Quadro, like the old Fermi based one I have.

Comment

I would be ashamed to sell products that give such bad user experience as seen on Michael's screenshots, and I know that those problems persist on Windows as well. Doesn't Intel have any QA department?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                  Intel does not compete with anything on price yet.
                  The A750 is $200.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks these benchmark results on their own aren't... terrible? Intel's first foray into the dedicated GPU space, with effectively two incomplete drivers for the platform and it's able to (in this limited sampling of tests) reach performance levels between the RTX 3060 and the RTX 3060 Ti.

For the vast majority of consumers (which as a reminder do not have high resolution and high refresh rate displays), that kind of performance is more than adequate. Will it handle enthusiast or peak-performance users? Nope, but that's also not the target market for the current generation of cards.

Now, is it competitive compared to the rest of the field? Going US-centric for a moment(using Newegg for reference), the A750 and A770 range between $250 and $350. At that price range, you can get the RX 6400 to RX 6750 XT and the RX 7600, and from team green a 3050 to 3070, all of which have a "complete" ecosystem. So in its current state, I would say no, Arc is not very competitive. However, I would qualify it as a good first pass to demonstrate the platform's technology and potential future for the market they're targeting with these devices.

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of performance these cards give once the Vulkan driver stack is complete, as that is where Arc is supposed to shine.

Cheers,
                    Mike
                    Last edited by mroche; 26 May 2023, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X