Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon RX 7600 Linux Performance

Phoronix: AMD Radeon RX 7600 Linux Performance

For those that have been interested in the Radeon RX 7900 series for the great open-source driver support on Linux but have been wanting a cheaper graphics card and perhaps are a 1080p gamer, today's launch of the Radeon RX 7600 will surely be of interest to you. The Radeon RX 7600 is a nice lower-end graphics card for 1080p gamers and has upstream open-source Linux support already -- including the ability to run out-of-the-box already on Ubuntu 23.04 and other newer distributions. Here is my Linux performance review of the AMD Radeon RX 7600.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

for the price it's a good choice

Comment

Since the RX 7600 and 6600 XT are trading blows...if that's any indication of the 7700 and 7800 performance levels, I'm glad I bit the bullet with a 6700 XT.

Michael Your fingers shifted one position to the left so you wrote 65 instead of 76

The Radeon RX 6500 has a total board power rating of 165 Watts compared to the RX 6600 having been at 132 Watts.

Comment

Like they said: there is not bad products, just bad prices. If this thing hit the shelves at a price point people find acceptable, well, good for them.

But I do think this is in the disappointing side, performance wise. Like Nvidia's 4060Ti launch, people expected a bigger performance jump from previous generation. Right now the only thing appealing is the AV1 encoding, because decoding was already present and working on the previous card.
        Last edited by M@GOid; 24 May 2023, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Thx for throwing in the 5700XT and 590. Its great to see how it compares to the (last)-last-last-gen models.

So a 5700Xt is slightly worse in the overall comparison.

The 7600 will be around 250-300€ ..you have been able to get a decent 5700XT for round about 350-400€ in Nov. 2020 - price was already quite stable since 2019.
          ...that's how fucked up the market is:

Almost 3-(4) years later only 25% cheaper for almost the same performance*. But its still one of the best deals you can get nowadays.

*sure im neglecting the inflation.

edit: first cards in EU are listed for 300€
          Last edited by CochainComplex; 24 May 2023, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Michael Your fingers shifted one position to the left so you wrote 65 instead of 76
            is so funny

only wait for anyone make a error..............................

Comment

Now to see what intel has to offer, hopefully there will be competition from AMD and or intel. NVIDIA seems not care but they might know something we do not, only time can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                Like they said: there is not bad products, just bad prices. If this thing hit the shelves at a price point people find acceptable, well, good for them.

But I do think this is in the disappointing side, performance wise. Like Nvidia's 4060Ti launch, people expected a bigger performance jump from previous generation. Right now the only thing appealing is the AV1 encoding, because decoding was already present and working on the previous card.
                That's what I saw. 5000->6000 was a pretty big jump in GPU power. 6000->7000 feels like 6XXX->6X50; RX 580->590. It uses a bit more power for a bit more performance. Rather underwhelming from a performance gain standpoint.

I feel like that's the old school way of looking at things. Think about it like this. This is this generation's shitty gaming GPU from AMD. The shitty gaming GPU does 1080pUltra at 120 FPS. That's not shitty performance. That level of performance would have been between mid-range and top of the line 5 or 6 years ago and it matches performance of the premium version of its predecessor that released at $75 to 100 more two years ago.

While it's very lackluster with the performance increase we expect new generations to typically bring, it's very exciting in the dollars to framerate increase.
                Last edited by skeevy420; 24 May 2023, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Considdering that 6600 XT is faster and cheaper I don't see how this is a good product/price point.

Comment

So full Navi 23 and full Navi 33 are at about the same performance and power draw. But the newer die is about 86% the size. Hooray for RDNA3 and TSMC 7>6nm refinements I guess, but I can see why they didn't call it the 7600XT. On the other hand, it's not a ripoff, which is rare these days. Hopefully they will offer a 16GB version for 330 bones or so (and not charge $100 for the extra 8GB as Nvidia intends to).

These figures do make 6700s and 6700XTs look good at current prices while they are in stock.

Edit: Windows (mostly gaming) reviews on Youtube look different (GamersNexus, Hardware Unboxed), with the 7600 beating the 6650XT slightly, the 6600XT always, and probably matching the 6700 which none of those reviewers seem to have. Hopefully this performance will come to Linux.
                    Last edited by Teggs; 24 May 2023, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X