Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 3 "FSR 3" Will Be Open-Source

Phoronix: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 3 "FSR 3" Will Be Open-Source

AMD has been teasing FidelityFX Super Resolution 3 (FSR3) as the latest version of their game upscaling tech that will be released later in the year. AMD began showing off FSR 3 to game developers this week at GDC while also re-affirming their open-source commitment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's wonderful!
    Thank you very much AMD!

Comment

lord and savior amd my 1650ti got resurrected from this .

Comment

With FSR 1/2 I like being able to drop down to 2K or 1080p from 4K and up my in-game graphics settings while getting higher frame rate since my 6700 XT doesn't like 4K in a lot of games whereas 2K seems to be the sweet spot between resolution and performance.

I like how it sounds like "or 1080p" might be a thing of the past with FSR 3 and my setup

Comment

I mostly see the value of the interpolation on mobile games to be honest. There you can accept latency as the input mechanism is clumsy enough to begin with, and if you can half power consumption you double battery life and reduce heat. Which is really important for such small devices.

Comment

Most likely using an AI, accelerated by the RX 7000 series AI accelerators. So far they haven’t served a purpose for gamers. If AMD doesn’t add support for Intel’s XMX cores, Nvidia’s Tensor cores I’m certain Intel and Nvidia definitely won’t support FSR 3.0 either.

I don’t see this running on anything older than the RX 7000 series without noticeable terrible performance due to lack of hardware acceleration from matrix cores. This will just be another XeSS, runs great on their own hardware but awful on others.
            Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 24 March 2023, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
              I don’t see this running on anything older than the RX 7000 series without noticeable terrible performance due to lack of hardware acceleration from matrix cores. This will just be another XeSS, runs great on their own hardware but awful on others.
              That would certainly be a departure from how they've been developing FSR, thus far. While it would make sense for them to utilize some of the more advanced features of the current crop of video cards, I don't think it would make sense for them to lock this onto the 7000 series GPUs. It's not as if they have any hardware that's sufficiently novel and unique that a version of it couldn't be run on basically any graphics cards.

Yes, it will probably be LESS useful on, say, Nvidia 2xxx series cards, but that doesn't mean it won't run, at all.

Comment

Originally posted by jeoshua View Post

That would certainly be a departure from how they've been developing FSR, thus far. While it would make sense for them to utilize some of the more advanced features of the current crop of video cards, I don't think it would make sense for them to lock this onto the 7000 series GPUs. It's not as if they have any hardware that's sufficiently novel and unique that a version of it couldn't be run on basically any graphics cards.

Yes, it will probably be LESS useful on, say, Nvidia 2xxx series cards, but that doesn't mean it won't run, at all.
                As mentioned I could see them following Intel, with support for DP4a. Just like XeSS, this will be horrible without matrix cores acceleration. Which I don’t see AMD supporting their competitors accelerators.

AMD: Vega 20 and later
                Intel: Gfx12 and later
                Nvidia: GP102 and later

Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 24 March 2023, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
                  I mostly see the value of the interpolation on mobile games to be honest. There you can accept latency as the input mechanism is clumsy enough to begin with, and if you can half power consumption you double battery life and reduce heat. Which is really important for such small devices.
                  Mobile hardware unfortunately lacks the ability to run frame interpolation in a reasonable amount of time, so any performance gains would be nullified. This is already a problem with FSR 2 and even unmodified FSR 1 (but a modified "FSR Lite" can work well on flagship devices).

Comment

Noice

Comment

Working...
                    X