Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RADV Graphics Pipeline Library Support Becoming Speedy, Aims For Mesa 23.1 Promotion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Graphics Pipeline Library Support Becoming Speedy, Aims For Mesa 23.1 Promotion

Phoronix: RADV Graphics Pipeline Library Support Becoming Speedy, Aims For Mesa 23.1 Promotion

The Mesa Radeon Vulkan "RADV" driver's implementation of the graphics pipeline library (VK_EXT_graphics_pipeline_library) is becoming much faster thanks to fast-linking and various pending fixes. In turn this will get games making use of the extension the ability to ideally have no shader pre-caching while still enjoying no in-game stuttering. Valve's Linux graphics driver developers working on RADV have been working through some issues with the RADV graphics pipeline library and for Mesa 23.1 looks like it could be in good shape...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Using yesterday's Mesa, I added that to my gamescope session script and for whatever reason it causes the Epic launcher to not launch.

Comment

By far the most exciting feature for RADV in a while, it's such a massive difference in many games with DXVK, even in it's experimental state. (Just don't enable it blindly for everything since it still disables the shader disk cache and is a net negative for everything but DXVK and maybe zink atm)

Comment

Love the picture of the pasta maker!

I used to use the same exact model (made from Imperia) when I was a child to make pasta with my mum on Sundays.

Comment

Is Intel even working on their driver? Seems like no GPL and DX12 features (like sparse residency) in sight. Games on Intel are literally unplayable.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
            Is Intel even working on their driver? Seems like no GPL and DX12 features (like sparse residency) in sight. Games on Intel are literally unplayable.
            Yes, they are: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/15637
            It's also still not available in AMDVLK or AMD's windows driver, the only vendor that delivered GPL support in a reasonable timeframe is nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
              I used to use the same exact model (made from Imperia) when I was a child to make pasta with my mum on Sundays.
              Came here to say the same!

Comment

The original blog post is great. It's a fun ride. Recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: RADV Graphics Pipeline Library Support Becoming Speedy, Aims For Mesa 23.1 Promotion
                  I'm looking forward to using this. World of Warcraft's initial performance is hideous whenever I refresh my installation of Mesa from Git, presumably because it needs to recompile all of its shaders into the shader cache. (This is with DXVK and D3D11.) It's good to know there may be light at the end of the tunnel now.

Comment

Tried it with some DX12 games (Proton VK3D) and native Vulkangames. The only game that behaved different was Tiny Tinas Wonderland. The gameloadingtime is increased. The first run also gave me massive stuttering even in the mainmenu. That effect went away after 15 minutes now the game runs like it did before. I am not sure if "gpl" is even doing anything with the other titles i have tested.

Comment

Working...
                    X