Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Performance Impact From Different Arch Linux Kernel Flavors

Phoronix: The Performance Impact From Different Arch Linux Kernel Flavors

Arch Linux has five different officially supported kernel builds: stable, hardened, long-term. real-time, and Zen, but which of these is the fastest for desktop Arch Linux users? Here are some fresh benchmarks looking at the performance out of these different kernel build options for Arch Linux and its derivatives.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

These graphs are terrible to read at times

Screenshot_20230125_171208.png

Comment

maybe the hardware is new and therefore benefited from the latest kernel support.
      LTS is still good for hardware with 2-years old or older.

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

Was the graphs previously showing fine for you in dark mode? Will take a look to see if dark mode regressed for it...
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

System responsiveness, whilst hard to test, would be a good one.

Linux trashes Windows in nearly every non-GPU benchmark, but I bet you Windows stays more responsiveness than GNOME under CPU-pressure. I am curious whether the RT kernels would show any improvement here.

Comment

Seems zen kernel is quite a decent choice for gaming on arch, good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

Should be fixed/improved if you refresh the page (and the updated dark CSS loads).
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                System responsiveness, whilst hard to test, would be a good one.
                System responsiveness is not hard to test. The creators of the RT-patch also provide the cyclictest benchmark for this purpose.

Comment

Personally, I am amazed at just how well the -RT kernel held up to those tests compared to the rest. I do see where it did not do well against the Stress-NG test bench, but with the other tests....again....amazed.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                    Linux trashes Windows in nearly every non-GPU benchmark, but I bet you Windows stays more responsiveness than GNOME under CPU-pressure. I am curious whether the RT kernels would show any improvement here.
                    Nope, Linux with proper CPU governor and Gnome is far more responsive.

Comment

Working...
                    X