VMware & QXL X.Org Video Drivers See New Updates After Several Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware & QXL X.Org Video Drivers See New Updates After Several Years

Phoronix: VMware & QXL X.Org Video Drivers See New Updates After Several Years

Red Hat's Peter Hutterer has released new versions of the xf86-video-qxl and xf86-video-vmware DDX drivers for those making use of these X.Org drivers in virtualized environments...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this mean VMware and other virtualization apps still rely on Xorg? No wayland support in a VM?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      Does this mean VMware and other virtualization apps still rely on Xorg?
      Perhaps you would rather run them on Windows or macOS? No X11 involved there.

No wayland support in a VM?
      The host doesn't really affect what you run as a guest. It may not be accelerated by the passthrough stuff / driver shims though yet.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Perhaps you would rather run them on Windows or macOS? No X11 involved there.

The host doesn't really affect what you run as a guest. It may not be accelerated by the passthrough stuff / driver shims though yet.
        I'm talking about the guest OS here. AFAIK these drivers are needed inside the guest. If you run Linux as a host OS, it won't use these drivers. If it helps you at all, assume my host OS is Windows/Mac and doesn't use X. The guest is Linux and is using these drivers. Which is why I think my question is relevant here.

Comment

Does this mean VMware and other virtualization apps still rely on Xorg? No wayland support in a VM?
          There is Wayland support in latest VmWare.
          But Wayland supporters will not want to run their wares virtualized in VmWare anyway, because Windows host could read their pixels. O no, security!
          From a real world usage point of view, there is nothing to gain but trouble if you run Wayland session within VmWare. Even the famous tearing is guaranteed.​

Comment

Michael, FYI I got another phantom subscription. I didn't even read this article and somehow I'm subscribed to the comments thread.

It doesn't happen enough that it's a problem or even an annoyance -- just a curiosity. I'm mentioning, in case you're tracking it and remember any useful clues about posting this article or setting up the comment thread that might explain how/why it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              Michael, FYI I got another phantom subscription. I didn't even read this article and somehow I'm subscribed to the comments thread.

It doesn't happen enough that it's a problem or even an annoyance -- just a curiosity. I'm mentioning, in case you're tracking it and remember any useful clues about posting this article or setting up the comment thread that might explain how/why it happened.
              Hmmm that's real odd... Haven't seen anyone else report this issue. The coomment threads are all automated based on RSS feed... Were you browsing the forums right around 24 January 2023, 06:40 AM? That would be one of the only things in mind was some sort of race condition in the forum software.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

There is a KMS kernel module for qxl which should be enough to get a basic Wayland desktop running, although with software rendering. Using virgl as virtual graphics card an accelerated Wayland desktop might be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Hmmm that's real odd... Haven't seen anyone else report this issue. The coomment threads are all automated based on RSS feed... Were you browsing the forums right around 24 January 2023, 06:40 AM? That would be one of the only things in mind was some sort of race condition in the forum software.
                  I get it every now and then, though the last time it happened was a month or two ago

Comment

not at all, rather these are drivers for xorg, wayland works fine, and in many cases these drivers aren't even needed

Comment

Working...
                    X