Firefox 109 vs. Chrome 109 Browser Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux + Core i9 13900K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

I didnt even really consider telemetry and was mostly looking at this in the past: https://privacytests.org/

But that looks fairly awful now too, lmao.

I never even imagined Edge as a privacy friendly browser though, hence it always (at the very least) has to be supplemented with something else.
    Don't forget, Edge is made by the same morons that permeated some of the most used products with telemetry that can't be disabled by the majority of users.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      Ever heard of SO-DIMM slots with replaceable memory? Here's the system I'm using:

Buy HP EliteBook 840 G9 14" Notebook - WUXGA - 1920 x 1200 - Intel Core i5 12th Gen i5-1235U Deca-core (10 Core) - 16 GB Total RAM - 512 GB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Intel Iris Xe Graphics - In-plane Sw with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Buy Kingston FURY Impact 64GB (2 x 32GB) 262-Pin DDR5 SO-DIMM DDR5 4800 (PC4 38400) Laptop Memory Model KF548S38IBK264 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

I bought both articles from Germany in 11/2022. The price was around 1200 euros. Such wow price..
      Congrats, you found one of the few devices that even has two SO-DIMM slots. But reality is, that's not that common. Also, it's sadly becoming more and more common that the RAM is simply soldered to the motherboard.

It doesn't work that way. Just try it. Swap file will reserve the allocated memory lazily.
      Well then tell me how I did misunderstand it. If course it will be faster than a Swap file/partition as even the fastest SSDs are slower than RAM, but there's no way ZRAM can be as fast as uncompressed RAM. So sure, when it's ZRAM vs. Swap then ZRAM wins obviously. But ZRAM vs. RAM, only RAM can win this, obviously. Also, ZRAM shouldn't even be needed just to run a browser decently on an 8 GB RAM system.

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post
        Mozilla lost a lot of devs and workforce when they laid off 1/4 of their people a few years back. I don't think they've recovered and they lost a lot of institutional knowledge and long-timers.
        Mozilla lost a lot of volunteers as well, just like me, because they spent money on lots of things unrelated to browser development and made some very debatable decisions with internal executives and many suicidal decisions on the technical front...

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

Congrats, you found one of the few devices that even has two SO-DIMM slots. But reality is, that's not that common. Also, it's sadly becoming more and more common that the RAM is simply soldered to the motherboard.
          LPDDR RAM has to be soldered, it doesn't support sockets. And if you want thinner and lighter laptop with longer battery life (able to compete with Apple), you have no choice.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
            To exclusively test with selenium is a little bit unfair.

How to chromium, edge and brave browsers compare?
            As I already wrote, selenium is only used for triggering the benchmarks to run.. Not the benchmark itself or measured as part of the benchmark.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

LPDDR RAM has to be soldered, it doesn't support sockets. And if you want thinner and lighter laptop with longer battery life (able to compete with Apple), you have no choice.
              The problem isn't really if users want it, but if companies want it. After all, they make much more money when they can sell you at least a new motherboard when any defect occurs, Users didn't ask for headphone jacks to vanish from phones or even laptops, yet they did on phones and also on some laptops already.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

The problem isn't really if users want it, but if companies want it. After all, they make much more money when they can sell you at least a new motherboard when any defect occurs, Users didn't ask for headphone jacks to vanish from phones or even laptops, yet they did on phones and also on some laptops already.
                Well, my uncle bought an old All-in-One Lenovo PC and the previous owner took the RAM and we had big problems to buy the old compatible RAM module. If it was soldered, the original capacity was enough for us. Just my own experience.

PS: Vote with your wallet. If there's enough people like you, the vendors will offer at least some models with RAM sockets. For peole like me, I have no problems to choose the right RAM capacity from the start (electronics is so cheap in the last decade, we don't have to postpone such expenses for full RAM capacity).

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

right but even the Raspberry Pi 4 is obsolete next month... then you can buy ~140€ orange pi 5 with rockchip rk3388 with multible time higher performance with 16-32gb of ram if you want to...

firefox is less efficient but even on ARM machines in less than 1-2 years nearly all ARM machines will have more performance than firefox needs.

just watch the benchmark its Raspberry pi 4 vs rockchip rk3388s

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu...eline=16426661

single core score geekbench Raspberry Pi 4 = 968

single core score geekbench Rockchip rk3388s= 2950

multicore score geekbench Raspberry Pi 4 = 2476

multicore score geekbench Rockchip rk3388x = 9061

as you can see the Raspberry pi 4 is obsolete... now you maybe say the rockchip 3388s is to expensive but i think the price will go down quickly.

in 6 month the price of the 3388 is less than 100€ thats for sure.
                  Agreed and I have my RK3588S (which differss from standard 3588 only in having only one HDMI port, and slower PCIE disk but still very good), for 105 pounds (about 130 USD) from Ali Express (orange pi 5) 16GB version ordered. I agree that RPI4 now looks stupid and also I agree never knew why Pi400 didn't have 8GB version or place internal to keyboard for USB SSD. Ebon Upton was interviewed on Explaining Computers and basically the guy sounds like any other businessman talking about "putting things in OEM channel" ie only cares about corpo clients now. RK3588 also uses Mali GPU so full Vulkan support and drivers in Mesa if I understand correctly.
                  Last edited by vegabook; 23 January 2023, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

honestly i never did buy any Raspberry Pi not 1 not 2 not3 and not 4 and not pi 400 and so one.

why ??? my computer i write from it right now has 128gb ram and my PC before this nearly 7-8 years old had 32gb ram.
                    for me a device with 4gb ram is complete useless for me.
                    and for example for the pi 400 there is only a 4gb ram version... yes some people solder 8gb ram on it just to proof you can hack it.

but even pi 4 with 8gb ram is to slow for me. and most GPUs of most of the Pis are complete useless junk without vulkan support...

honestly it looks like the complete community did move away from Broadcom as a SOC supply and the complete Rasperry pi foundation more or less dissolved just my impression...

even pi 4 is 3 or more years old and this means they are more or less death ...

rockchip 3388s devices like orange pi 5 with 8 or 16 or 32gb ram its 3 times faster on the cpu side and the gpu is much faster and supports decent vulkan functionality...

i think the time of the pis is over... the raspberry pi foundation also always used complete outdated chip nodes the pi 4 is 28 nm)​...

the rockchip 3388s is 8nm...

so the raspberry pi's are a complete joke you can not even save money with the pi's because 28nm vs 8nm makes sure the 3388 will win any competition.
                    Oh I would never say a Pi should be used as a desktop replacement ever. No way. I think the RasPi Foundation just wanted to put it into the hands of enthusiasts for the purpose of hands on, low horsepower programming and just tinkering. All the other vendors coming out with beefier SBCs I think are missing the original point of Pi and it's purpose. It has limited use due to its low specs. So for single-purpose uses that's where enthusiasts are finding creative, albeit limited, application uses for it. No one is going to run Crysis on it.

Comment

As a former Commodore 64 and Amiga user, I think Pi could have been perfect desktop replacement for basic tasks. Even without Crysis.
                      However, it is so underpowered, that it defeats the purpose.
                      It would be OK to run as a basic low power headless server without GUI, but who needs a permanent keyboard for a server?
                      Ability to install nvme drive would be nice too....

I know it's very cheap, but it would be vastly more interesting if it was more capable, and not so very cheap.
                      If you're on budget, second hand haswell-era (AVX2!) 4 core micro pc with 8/16GB ram and proper SATA port will be better anyway.
                      And much cheaper.
                      Last edited by sobrus; 23 January 2023, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X