No announcement yet.

Firefox 109 vs. Chrome 109 Browser Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux + Core i9 13900K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 109 vs. Chrome 109 Browser Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux + Core i9 13900K

Phoronix: Firefox 109 vs. Chrome 109 Browser Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux + Core i9 13900K

It's been a while since last having a fresh look at the Mozilla Firefox vs. Google Chrome performance on the Linux desktop, but with a slow Linux/open-source news weekend, here are some fresh numbers with their latest browser releases...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Firefo...109-Benchmarks

How hardware acceleration affects these results will be useful to understand the terms of comparison.

Comment

I'd rather use the slower browser that isn't going to nobble the ability of adblockers to work properly thanks.

Comment

As impressive as those numbers are, chrome is utterly broken on HiDPI wayland.

Comment

Firefox is borderline unusable on weak hardware like the Raspberry Pi, whereas Chromium is acceptable. My main machine is currently in repair so I'm using a spare RPi, and it's seriously testing my usual faithful commitment for Firefox.

I get that this is a non-issue once you move up to even basic X86 machines, but it still shows that Firefox code is simply less efficient. I don't know if it's because it's not optimized for ARM.
          Last edited by vegabook; 22 January 2023, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Would consider switching to Chrome, but it won't happen until they respect the system's font rendering style... so probably never.
            https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium...etail?id=29871

Comment

These tests say they are using selenium which means they are subject to the quality of the selenium web driver for Firefox. I don't think that's a fair and representative test

Comment

Originally posted by AlanSMac View Post
                These tests say they are using selenium which means they are subject to the quality of the selenium web driver for Firefox. I don't think that's a fair and representative test
                They are just using selenium for triggering the web benchmarks... Selenium itself isn't the benchmark or measured as part of the tests.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Agree with the others. On decent hardware, Firefox-only. On sluggish ones, Edge (=Chromium) it is.

Comment

Google is still sabotaging Linux desktop. VAAPI still doesn't work in Chrome despite
                    • Video Decode: Hardware accelerated

Comment

Working...
                    X