NVIDIA Contributes linux_dmabuf v4 Feedback Support To XWayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

both are wrong and right, both wayland and X have massive crippling issues.
    I don't understand why ex-Xorg developers would design something which is so radically incomplete and it looks like they are not even interested in making it not suck under environments other than Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

I don't understand why ex-Xorg developers would design something which is so radically incomplete and it looks like they are not even interested in making it not suck under environments other than Gnome.
      As long as you are using an Intel or AMD GPU, Wayland works very well on GNOME and also (while not perfect yet) on KDE Plasma if you are on the latest stable release. It does work on older and newer hardware. I have a system running KDE Plasma on Wayland with an AMD A10 APU that is more than a decade old without issues.

The Wayland developers care about the Waylandprotocoll and Weston the reference Waylandcompositor.

Like with X.Org/x11 it is up to the developers of each DE to implement Wayland. The main difference here is the fact that the Waylandprotocoll itself only provides "basic" functions. All other features must be implementet within the Compositor of the DE or for some functions within a seperate API like pipewire for screensharing.

GNOME was the first desktop that provided Waylandsupport while other desktops held back in that regard and therefore still have no usable support for it.

Funny enough, Google uses Wayland for their proprietary ChromeOs while the "opensource linuxworld" is still struggeling with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ripper81 View Post

As long as you are using an Intel or AMD GPU, Wayland works very well on GNOME and also (while not perfect yet) on KDE Plasma if you are on the latest stable release. It does work on older and newer hardware. I have a system running KDE Plasma on Wayland with an AMD A10 APU that is more than a decade old without issues.
        define works very well, since gnome is still missing server side decorations, has terrible gpu hotplug (useful for vm folk) on lower end hardware gnome is a stuttery mess too

The Wayland developers care about the Waylandprotocoll and Weston the reference Waylandcompositor.

Like with X.Org/x11 it is up to the developers of each DE to implement Wayland. The main difference here is the fact that the Waylandprotocoll itself only provides "basic" functions. All other features must be implementet within the Compositor of the DE or for some functions within a seperate API like pipewire for screensharing.
        which leads to massive fragmentation in the wayland ecosystem, real great philosophy here

GNOME was the first desktop that provided Waylandsupport while other desktops held back in that regard and therefore still have no usable support for it.

Funny enough, Google uses Wayland for their proprietary ChromeOs while the "opensource linuxworld" is still struggeling with it.
        I heavily debate that gnome meets the bar for usable across the board, it does for some users, but certainly not all, also chrome OS is based on chromiumOS, which is open source, including the compositor

Comment

I have an Nvidia Titan GTX card. Its like 8 years old and back then AMD cards where just hot garbage. It still works fine and I don't see a reason to replace it at the current moment.

From time to time I make an honest attempt to try wayland. I use i3wm, so I naturally tried sway, which is warning that nvidia isn't supported and games that run fine on X11 where heavily flickering.

Gamescope doesn't even run, I just get an error. And Wayfire, the only other wm I was interested in, I could not test, because it depended on a different wlroots release than Sway and Gamescope, and apparently that doesn't work because wlroots breaks the API compatibility with every release.

I'm back in X11, will check back in half a year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Sorry, dude, I will simply ignore you from now on. I'm not interested in your feelings about corporations or their business models.
            If you want to continue live in your own world then, as I said, go ahead. You don't need to tell me that.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

If you want to continue live in your own world then, as I said, go ahead. You don't need to tell me that.
              I live in a real world where the desktop belongs to proprietary Windows and MacOS, you love to live in an imaginary one. Also Windows and MacOS are where you get the most quality and features. Have fun running Windows games under layers of emulation.

And I say that as I person who's been running Linux exclusively for over 25 years. So, again, you are so f-ing wrong about me, it's cringe. I just see things as they are unlike you.

Comment

Originally posted by ripper81 View Post

Last I recall ChromeOS still uses Freon. Wayland is used to display Android apps and steam games. Steam runs in a virtual machine in ChromeOS. Seems like this can be used to run other containerized apps as well.

Steam runs in a virtual machine on ChromeOS, but the user experience needs to be seamless. Here's how we're balancing security and usability.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post

Last I recall ChromeOS still uses Freon. Wayland is used to display Android apps and steam games. Steam runs in a virtual machine in ChromeOS. Seems like this can be used to run other containerized apps as well.

https://chromeos.dev/en/posts/integr...ess-experience
                  android also runs in VMs on a lot of chromebooks now, chrome is migrating away from the containerization approach they uses in the past

Comment

Working...
                  X