Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Contributes linux_dmabuf v4 Feedback Support To XWayland

Phoronix: NVIDIA Contributes linux_dmabuf v4 Feedback Support To XWayland

NVIDIA engineer Austin Shafer has contributed linux_dmabuf v4 feedback protocol support for upstream XWayland. This is working towards allowing scan-out modifiers that a compositor advertises to be delivered to X11 applications under (X)Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Rather than supporting XWayland, it is necessary to support Wayland.

Comment

I just wish they would fix this: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/.../-/issues/1317
      Soon it will celebrate its first birthday and it's not like it's important or anything, just essentially blocking Wayland on Nvidia....
      Sigh...

Comment

NVidia is sucessfully blocking a proper Wayland transition by by clinging on X and whatever X needs to run on nicely on Nvidia. Don't get me wrong its nice they finally contribute to some opensource projects instead of doing a potential nasty workaround on their side.

Comment

Nothing like getting better multi-GPU support after multi-GPU goes belly-up.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Nothing like getting better multi-GPU support after multi-GPU goes belly-up.
            Multi-GPU is not dead... in fact almost every PC today is multi-GPU... what died was SLI and X-Fire... I am guess you were referring to these latter technologies... but hey I am feeling pedantic today!

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

Multi-GPU is not dead... in fact almost every PC today is multi-GPU... what died was SLI and X-Fire... I am guess you were referring to these latter technologies... but hey I am feeling pedantic today!
              And Optimus is still a flaming mess in Linux even in 2023.

The only way I'm ever going to get any proper use out of an Optimus laptop is to load it with Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by henrik View Post
                I just wish they would fix this: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/.../-/issues/1317Soon it will celebrate its first birthday and it's not like it's important or anything, just essentially blocking Wayland on Nvidia....Sigh...
                Nvidia blocked Wayland for like a decade, so what's another year anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
                  Rather than supporting XWayland, it is necessary to support Wayland.
                  XWayland only runs on Wayland. For the longest time, one of the big things that made Wayland sessions unusable on NVidia hardware was that XWayland software had no GPU acceleration because NVidia didn't support DMA bug. Adding stuff to XWayland isn't the opposite of supporting Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

XWayland only runs on Wayland. For the longest time, one of the big things that made Wayland sessions unusable on NVidia hardware was that XWayland software had no GPU acceleration because NVidia didn't support DMA bug. Adding stuff to XWayland isn't the opposite of supporting Wayland.
                    Don't worry, we'll soon implement Wayland on Xorg. :P

Comment

Working...
                    X