No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS Delayed To End Of February Over Kernel & Signed Shim Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS Delayed To End Of February Over Kernel & Signed Shim Woes

Phoronix: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS Delayed To End Of February Over Kernel & Signed Shim Woes

The Ubuntu xx.04.2 LTS releases tend to be a bit more meaningful for long-term support users since it includes the back-ported hardware enablement "HWE" stack with updated Linux kernel from the newer non-LTS release. Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS had been due for release on 9 February with that updated stack but is now pushed back to the end of the month over technical issues...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I couldn't care less.
    With all the Snap bullshit, Debian is king now!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      I couldn't care less.
      Change your account name to SnapHater and type '.....' in every Ubuntu news article discussion. It will save you typing.
      BTW, we couldn't care less about your trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        Change your account name to SnapHater and type '.....' in every Ubuntu news article discussion. It will save you typing.
        BTW, we couldn't care less about your trolling.
        Cared enough to take the bait and reply....

Comment

Rats. I was hoping to move to the full 5.19 kernel package sooner so I get proper support for my 7950X. Another month to go now.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Myers View Post
            Rats. I was hoping to move to the full 5.19 kernel package sooner so I get proper support for my 7950X. Another month to go now.
            well if you can install xanmod or liquorix kernel packages. then no need to wait. you can have a much more recent kernel anytime you want. of course it might be a bit different in certain aspects, but for the most part they seem to be quite well made. and many people are using them on a daily basis

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Myers View Post
              It's available in hwe-edge. Just, you know, caveat emptor.

Comment

I couldn't care less.
                OK, hobbyist.

Comment

I couldn't care less.
                  The same Debian whose decision-making processes are all dominated by Canonical devs? Guess we should get ready for default snaps on Debian soon.

Comment

Um, isn't there an outstanding bug with AMD 5xxx and 6xxx GPUs with 5.19 and newer that causes GPU hangs in some cases? Pretty sure I've read that, but I can't remember reading that it's been fully fixed. If so, that's a pretty good reason for AMD users on Ubuntu based systems NOT to upgrade to 5.19 regardless of shim signing issues.

<rant>
                    MSI motherboard users like me might find somewhat useless at this point anyway - MSI doubled down on their idiotic secure boot bypass default firmware settings decision. I know I can set the secure boot options back to what they're supposed to be manually, but that's not the point. At some point some enterprising hackers are going to figure out how to silently reset firmware options back to default or just silently update firmware using exploit chains that automatically resets everything back to insecure defaults. If the defaults actually failed to a safe mode then a compromised boot chain wouldn't boot on reset and secure boot would work as intended. As it is now, you're boned, and hackers don't even have to worry about trying to sign the firmware capsule or compromise it in any way, which is impossible without compromising MSI's firmware signing keys. MSI has never saved firmware settings between updates, at one point they didn't even properly save fTPM keys. I will never buy another MSI motherboard again - it's not just this episode, but it is the straw that broke the camel's back. (Also, I don't care if you don't trust secure boot. It's a security tool that has its place when properly used. Leave your conspiracy theories to Twitter.)

I mean, come on even Dell gets this right on their consumer devices, and Dell's consumer grade devices are... not great otherwise. But, at least they get restoring settings correct.
                    </rant>
                    Last edited by stormcrow; 20 January 2023, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X