KDE Plasma 5.27 Beta Released With Tiling & Multi-Monitor Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.27 Beta Released With Tiling & Multi-Monitor Improvements

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.27 Beta Released With Tiling & Multi-Monitor Improvements

The KDE Plasma 5.27 beta is available for testing today as the next big update to the KDE desktop due out as stable next month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really looking forward to this release! Multi-monitor fixes are very much needed!

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
      Really looking forward to this release! Multi-monitor fixes are very much needed!
      IIRC, the biggest problem with multiple monitors is HDMI and DP. When you turn of a monitor connected over DP, it looks as if it's no longer there. Over HDMI it doesn't do that. That's why it's problematic to support turning on and off, going to and from sleep and whatnot. Let's hope this rewrite helps.

Also am I the only one that looks at that "welcome" screen and has a KDE 3.5 flashback?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        IIRC, the biggest problem with multiple monitors is HDMI and DP. When you turn of a monitor connected over DP, it looks as if it's no longer there. Over HDMI it doesn't do that. That's why it's problematic to support turning on and off, going to and from sleep and whatnot. Let's hope this rewrite helps.
        Both can do it, it depends on the protocol version. On one of my screens I can even select between DP 1.1 and 1.2 which affects this behavior.
        I think it was added as a measure to save energy, but I'm not sure.
        In any case, the behavior is the same on windows as well, it's not down to the OS (at least as far as I can tell).
        I really hope that the new approach finally fixes the moving around of screens, black desktops etc. Have been annoyed by that way to many years.

I also hope they make progress on the kwin restarting problem on wayland, since that is the main wayland blocker for me. I've (unfortunately) seen kwin crash too often in the past that I could trust on using it as a wm if a crash means that all other applications are gone as well.
        (Which is not a kwin-specific problem, but still should be fixed. )

Comment

Due to these features:
          1. Wayland fractional scaling
          2. Better multi-monitor
          3. Tiling window manager

I will be trying KDE Plasma v5.27 out on my main development machine (coming from GNOME) for the 1st time in over a decade.

Thanks KDE + Qt teams for all the great work you have been doing.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Also am I the only one that looks at that "welcome" screen and has a KDE 3.5 flashback?
            I've had problems with both HDMI and DP. Currently, my Arch system plugged into DP ports on 2 Dell monitors has no problems. A Fedora 37 KDE spin plugged into the HDMI ports on the same monitors is just bad. The taskbar moves from one monitor to the other, plasma crashes on 1 monitor and the backgrounds never save. Still better than GNOME though. Really looking forward to a good fix vs. the whack-a-mole approach with duct tape they've been doing.

Comment

Originally posted by skewty View Post
              Due to these features:
              I will be trying KDE Plasma v5.27 out on my main development machine (coming from GNOME) for the 1st time in over a decade.
              I really would suggest you to wait until the final release. I wouldn't want you to face some beta bug and get a bad impression about KDE Plasma

Comment

Originally posted by skewty View Post
                Due to these features:
                1. Wayland fractional scaling
                2. Better multi-monitor
                3. Tiling window manager

Thanks KDE + Qt teams for all the great work you have been doing.
                I agree. GNOME had better Wayland implementation for years but now I'm starting to feel that KDE might be getting advantage here.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                  However, the KDE devs said they don't expect a total fix to the multimonitor issues in this version. They said this change is also to make them easier to fix, or something like that. I read about it on Nate's blog

Comment

Reading other comments, I'm just looking for fixes for a single monitor on DP. I have one 32" 4K monitor using DP (HDMI doesn't seem to have the bandwidth) and somehow after the display has been off for a while a window will end up shifted off the screen so it doesn't show when maximised. It can (usually) be moved back using the Alt+F3 menu. That said, Plasma has definitely improved to the point that issues are rare.

Comment

Working...
                    X