Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Kernel Driver Patches Begin Preparing For "NVK" Open-Source Vulkan Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Kernel Driver Patches Begin Preparing For "NVK" Open-Source Vulkan Support

Phoronix: Nouveau Kernel Driver Patches Begin Preparing For "NVK" Open-Source Vulkan Support

Over the past year NVK has taken shape as a -- currently out-of-tree -- Mesa Vulkan driver for supporting NVIDIA graphics hardware. This open-source NVIDIA Vulkan driver is inching closer to the point of being upstreamed into Mesa, but before it's usable for gamers/enthusiasts there is kernel work that must happen too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am actually looking forward to this, so I can disable the Nvidia blob.

I don't game on Linux anymore, so raw FPS isn't something I care about too much. But having a driver that's decent for desktop usage (nouveau, isn't atm), that supports wayland etc properly would be very much better than the current status quo.

Nvidias blob on Wayland is still a mess. Xwayland doesn't work properly unless you turn off GPU acceleration for it.

Comment

It can't come soon enough. On the other hand I would like to try and track the status of this, but the cheapest GPU with that GSP seems to be the RTX 2060. Which is still extremely expensive for what it is. Especially for something basically useless until this driver matured.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
        It can't come soon enough. On the other hand I would like to try and track the status of this, but the cheapest GPU with that GSP seems to be the RTX 2060. Which is still extremely expensive for what it is. Especially for something basically useless until this driver matured.
        I think GTX 16 series also have GSP. (such as GTX 1650). No?

Comment

I would suggest to not be inaccurate when it comes to describing GPUs.

Series (900 series, RTX 20 series) has nothing to do with anything.

Firmware signing started with Maxwell 2, GSP was introduced with Turing.

Stop saying GTX 900 started with signing because it excludes some 800 series GPUs and incorrectly includes some 900 series. Same goes for the RTX 20 series because the GTX 16 series is also all Turing for now and they also have GSP support.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
            Cheapest by MSRP would be the GTX 1630 I believe.

Comment

I have an old laptop with intel HD4000 and nvidia 635m. Currently it uses bumblebee and nvidia blob (new drivers don't have 6xx support, so no true DRI_PRIME). I wonder if it's worth to try nouveau there? I mean, is there a chance that 635m + nouveau will be faster than intel? What is the current state of nouveau driver for 6xx series?

Comment

Originally posted by deve View Post
                I have an old laptop with intel HD4000 and nvidia 635m. Currently it uses bumblebee and nvidia blob (new drivers don't have 6xx support, so no true DRI_PRIME). I wonder if it's worth to try nouveau there? I mean, is there a chance that 635m + nouveau will be faster than intel? What is the current state of nouveau driver for 6xx series?
                That GPU is a Fermi GPU, afaik it's hit or miss there, you really need to try it to see yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                  I am actually looking forward to this, so I can disable the Nvidia blob.

oh the irony, somebody tell him.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post

oh the irony, somebody tell him.
                    The irony is to believe that AMD/Intel open source drivers work perfectly. It's so far from the truth it's actually laughable.

Comment

Working...
                    X