Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.3 To Support Pluton's CRB TPM2 On AMD Ryzen CPUs

Phoronix: Linux 6.3 To Support Pluton's CRB TPM2 On AMD Ryzen CPUs

If things go as planned, the TPM2 device found within Microsoft's Pluton security processor on the latest AMD Ryzen SoCs will be supported by Linux 6.3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Disgusting!
    Security should not even be in the same sentence as this.

Comment

I've always used AMD but I'm considering going with Intel next time just because of this, I haven't been able to find out if Intel is using this backdoor as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Disgusting!
        Security should not even be in the same sentence as this.
        Random question, can you point to any source where the TPM security has been compromised in the wild? I will say its more "disgusting" how Microsoft is using these technologies (basically a draconian DRM) but that has nothing to do with the security of the device.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

Random question, can you point to any source where the TPM security has been compromised in the wild? I will say its more "disgusting" how Microsoft is using these technologies (basically a draconian DRM) but that has nothing to do with the security of the device.
          it's disgusting because it's palladium, disguised as a security device.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
            it's disgusting because it's palladium, disguised as a security device.

Yes Microsoft renamed palladium.

Comment

Where in the wild is a TPM used for DRM, a TPM is used for full drive encryption and binding it to the hardware it was encrypted on to prevent hardware swapping exploits.

DRM is digital right management, thats used for video content, if you argue like that throw away your hdtv your monitors your gpus, go back to 2001 with a crt vga monitor and a rage 128 gpu, you know there is a thing called HDCP it´s in the hole display chain, codec>gpu>display.

If your display does not support HDCP it´s guess what BLACK hahaha.....

Comment

zexelon there are issues with this tech due to it being inside the CPU.
                We have a video to accompany our recent Lenovo Vendor-Locking AMD Ryzen CPUs piece and a new suggested framework for AMD PSB in the future

This Pluton TPM2 stuff is already being used in user hostile way. CPU are consumables they do wear-out. So yes you have two systems in front of your one one a dead motherboard but good cpu and one with a dead cpu but good motherboard. Historically you could swap those parts and fix those systems. Locked by vendor equals you cannot do this.

Comprise security is a broad thing. Not being able to repair a communication system can comprise personal security.

I can understand if changing chips between motherboards equaled TPM completely reset so encryption partitions keys gone but the current way can equal CPU refusing to power up at all.

Comment

We're also pulling the headphone jack from all future computers.

Why? Because, it's what the people want.

Comment

Originally posted by erniv2 View Post
                    Where in the wild is a TPM used for DRM, a TPM is used for full drive encryption and binding it to the hardware it was encrypted on to prevent hardware swapping exploits.
                    Except it does not stop at that. Pluton can end up binding CPU to motherboard with it working in nothing else.

Comment

Working...
                    X