Google To Allow Rust Code In The Chromium Browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TuesdayPogo View Post

...because open-source people want stuff to be open-source? It's like asking why does anime fans like waifu and husbando. It just comes with the territory. Open-source people like open-source stuff, and don't like the opposite, naturally.

While I don't think it's that big of a deal, I do think that it's fair for people who cares about open-source to not like it and don't trust it because of that proprietary portion.
    And I didn't say there's something wrong about asking something to be open source. I myself prefer to use open source software as much as I can. But unlike many, I understand that open source is not some magic bullet suitable for every situation from a developer stand point. I explained why Vivaldi is not open source in my next comment in this thread.

It's just infuriating when people don't know sh!t about Vivaldi (for example don't know about its unique features or the fact that it's actually a pretty good privacy oriented browser, yes, despite not being open source to the surprise of some, which doesn't even have a history of doing shady stuff behind user's back unlike Brave for example). And when the only thing they hear about it is that it's not open source, they immediately start to crap on it calling it "proprietary garbage that no one needs" or even go as far as putting it in the same category as Google Chrome, like DistroTube did.

And again, if someone is still suspicious about that 5% of proprietary HTML code, it's completely available for everyone to read.
    Last edited by user1; 13 January 2023, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
      It is time to let c++ die. C has its place, and will always have it. But c++, what a shit-show.... It should have died ages ago.... It was just a hack from the get go and has only survived because of existing codebases and the cost of moving them to something better.
      C++ gives you *some* safety whilst at the same time being a 99.9% superset of C allows you to interface with the most important language (ANSI C) with very little effort.

Rust is very safe but you need to create formal bindings (binding gnerators like Swig / Bindgen only half work) which means you lose a massive amount of convenience and get dependency messes like crates.io full of C binding glue packages.

So it really is a tradeoff between simplicity (ANSI C) and safety (Rust) and C++ has a unique niche between the two. It always has and always will which is why Python, Java, Swift and others have never managed to dislodge it.

Of course if Rust got a tiny C compiler formalized into the language (perhaps in unsafe tags), that would become seriously competitive! I am surprised a commercial entity hasn't already done this.

Comment

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
        With containers and smart pointers, modern C++ can be just as memory safe as Rust. All memory related proplem stem from interfacing with older code. Rust has the same problem when having to interface with a C library.
        Having a unique_ptr moved and accessing it afterwards would result in accessing a null pointer. In rust this would never compile. So no, you can still crash your programm with smart ptr and they are not equivalent.

Rust is about not making such mistakes in the first place while C++ trys to mitigate them. Also rust does it all with no overhead on runtime.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

So constantly leaking potentially confidential company information is great - because you received advertisements based on and processed of your companies internal data? Maybe I misunderstood

Also isn't this what is some peoples get paid for, to find the matching supplier? If an ad can do it, I'd fire them instantly and safe their wages; these people also pose a security risk by neglecting security and passively/actively leaking internal corporate informations.
          1. Can you please explain where the leak is? There is no potentially confidential information here. If you buy a product from company R, you are entitled to see the specs of the materials they used to make that product. I'm still failing to see where the leak happens. Thank you.
          2. I'm not firing procurement personnel who are constantly getting a, b, c, d locally with good deals only because they are failing to find a better deal on x, y, z from a different country. This is especially true seeing at how difficult it is to deal with sales representatives from countries such as Turkey, China, and England.
          I'm genuinely eager to learn. Please tell me where there is chance of potentially leaking information. Everything is public including balance sheets.
          Email is handled using microsoft outlook. files are on sharepoint. I don't see how google can get to those. But if you know a detailed way they can, please do share so I can secure then.
          Last edited by ClosedSource; 13 January 2023, 07:23 AM.

Comment

With containers and smart pointers, modern C++ can be just as memory safe as Rust. All memory related proplem stem from interfacing with older code. Rust has the same problem when having to interface with a C library.
            Absolutly f... no.

First Rust (without word unsafe) guarantees memory safety. C++ is 100000 miles away from guaranting memory safety even in modern.

Second. Modern C++ doesn't prevent one of the most common memory bug - use-after-free and use-after-move.

Third. C++ to be "kind of" good enough memory safe requires programmers to know what they are doing. But if you have one programmer who has worse day and code reviewer who has worse day, you are doomed.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

offtopic I guess. Health issues that's fine to hide, probably 50% of the population, but what about the other half, the healthy ones, what are they hiding if you live in the EU/US? It's not like gays are being persecuted..?
              I don't really understand your point. What does health issues have to do with all this. When I say that everyone has something to hide, I mean sensitive secrets that you don't want anyone around you to know.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Well, the thing is, there are some cases when people got fired (or other bad things happened to people) because of Google leaking the collected data about them. And when someone says "I got nothing to hide", he's lying to himself. We all got something to hide. It's just not everyone realizes that.
                One thing I hide is when I don't want to deal with a particular customer. So, if you ask me to fix your car (I don't know how to fix cars) and I tell you sure I need 8 weeks and I offer to send someone to pick it up next week. So you end up sending it to someone else who can fix it in two days. In this case, I am hiding that I don't want to deal with you.

Sometimes I lie. When I call you to ask how much a 22" FHD Samsung screen costs at your sure, I will pretend your competitor is offering to sell it for less. In reality, you are both overcharging me so sometimes I say "why are you selling it for less to other people?". This is part of every day business. There is very good chance both you and your competitor are overcharging me and letting your preferred customers pay less.
                Last edited by ClosedSource; 13 January 2023, 07:22 AM.

Comment

It's not a myth even if Rust fanboys keep saying that. Truth is, you can write unsafe code in Rust as well. You have to, when interfacing with C code.
                  And? And? That code is clearly marked as unsafe, easy to review and verify if it works right
                  In C/C++ you always have to treat you whole code base as unsafe.
                  Last edited by dragonn; 13 January 2023, 07:46 AM.

Comment

It's not a myth even if Rust fanboys keep saying that. Truth is, you can write unsafe code in Rust as well. You have to, when interfacing with C code.
                    "Rust (without word unsafe) guarantees memory safety", they say. But later...

Comment

Rust or C++ aside, I think the worst case is having a web browser which is partly C++, partly Rust.

Not only do you have to frig around with bindings but you also have very little guarantee of safety. C++ <-> Rust lifetimes are even harder to manage than ANSI C <-> Rust lifetimes in bindings.

So ultimately I just hope they choose *one* and it becomes mostly homogeneous soon. I personally don't mind which; especially since the few platforms that Rust doesn't yet support were long left behind by "modern" web browsers; so nothing is really lost there either. Unfortunately rewrites in Rust tend to be slow; I don't think it will ever manage to become homogeneous.

Yes; I said it. Diversity sucks! (when it comes to multiple programming languages in a single project codebase).
                      Last edited by kpedersen; 13 January 2023, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X