Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon vs. Intel Arc Graphics With Linux 6.2 + Mesa 23.0

Phoronix: AMD Radeon vs. Intel Arc Graphics With Linux 6.2 + Mesa 23.0

Following the Windows vs. Linux benchmarks with Intel Arc Graphics from last week, in today's article is a look at how the Intel Arc Graphics A750 and A770 are competing to the AMD Radeon graphics when using the very latest Linux 6.2 kernel along with Mesa 23.0-devel for providing the very latest open-source graphics driver support from each vendor.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In hindsight is a bit surprising that Intel head honchos thought they could create a entire new graphical product line, without backing it up with solid software. They watched for decades ATI/AMD suffer with a bad reputation regarding graphical drivers and, when was their time to enter the fray, they were completely unprepared.

Comment

Right now it's a 380 euro card which gets badly beaten by a 260 euro one. I would pity Arc if they at least allowed SR-IOV, but since Intel is always Intel I'm just laughing instead.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Seems Arc has potential when you look at the Heaven results, though even then, I'd expect it to be a 6700XT.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          In hindsight is a bit surprising that Intel head honchos thought they could create a entire new graphical product line, without backing it up with solid software. They watched for decades ATI/AMD suffer with a bad reputation regarding graphical drivers and, when was their time to enter the fray, they were completely unprepared.
          Intel had iGPUs for decades. They didn't make it out of nowhere.
          PS Bought A770 to replace my old rx580, can't wait to be disappointed. 😁
          Last edited by RejectModernity; 12 January 2023, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Right now it's a 380 euro card which gets badly beaten by a 260 euro one. I would pity Arc if they at least allowed SR-IOV, but since Intel is always Intel I'm just laughing instead.
            This, I would have bought one or two cards if they had SR-IOV support without thinking twice.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

Intel had iGPUs for decades. They didn't make it out of nowhere.
              PS Bought A770 to replace my old rx580, can't wait to be disappointed. 😁
              Oh, I well aware they didn't start from zero. But until now, for Intel GPUs were just a way to not pay money to Imagination or Nvidia, for a small iGPU to put on their CPUs. I heard they thought they could leverage code from previous iGPUs, but boy were they wrong...

As for your new card, I do believe Intel will get there on drivers, just the first couple years will be a rough ride. But I think you still will be in a better place than I with my near top-of the-line R9-290, almost a decade ago. Now that was rough. Last year I plugged in a RX6600 and things were rolling right away, no need to tweak anything. How things changed.

Comment

If Intel wants to be in this for a long game, they need to shut their marketing the hell up for a couple of years and work on what's clearly more than just silicon design issues.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Oh, I well aware they didn't start from zero. But until now, for Intel GPUs were just a way to not pay money to Imagination or Nvidia, for a small iGPU to put on their CPUs. I heard they thought they could leverage code from previous iGPUs, but boy were they wrong...

As for your new card, I do believe Intel will get there on drivers, just the first couple years will be a rough ride. But I think you still will be in a better place than I with my near top-of the-line R9-290, almost a decade ago. Now that was rough. Last year I plugged in a RX6600 and things were rolling right away, no need to tweak anything. How things changed.
                  My R290 is a space heater and now barely works and that thing hasn't had many hours put on it either. The A750 I have should demolish it even with immature drivers. I didn't get mine to game much. Its just for Elden Ring, Warframe DayZ and a few other games using Flatpak Steam on Debian Bullseye (eventual Bookwor this year YAY) with a customized Liquorix kernel / Xan 6.2 once when it is released. I do most of my gaming on Series X and PS5 these days and what I do on PC I still have a Ryzen 2600X and GTX 1080 for to wait out any driver issues on Intel. Will be nice to get *eventual* AV1 encode support in OBS which is why I really bought it in the first place. Its also nice to be able to rip DVDs and make a Jellyfin server using AV1 without making my house a space heater on the Ryzen 5700X.

Comment

Again I think the A770 is a interesting ML card, with 16GB VRAM being a massive plus and some initial Stable Diffusion benchmarks comparing favorably to the (similarly priced) 12GB 3060.

At the moment, AMD is (tragically) pretty much irrelevant in this space.
                    Last edited by brucethemoose; 12 January 2023, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X