Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.2-rc3 Released - "Starting To Look A Lot More Normal"

Phoronix: Linux 6.2-rc3 Released - "Starting To Look A Lot More Normal"

Linus Torvalds released Linux 6.2-rc3 a few hours early today and noted that things are "starting to look a lot more normal" in terms of the code churn for this stage of the Linux 6.2 development cycle now that the holiday period has passed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And Ubuntu developers still doesn't care about it!

Comment

Btrfs....

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        RC kernels are meant for beta testers and those people normally can, you know, ... compile themselves?

I'm not even a beta tester but I've been running my own kernels for over two decades now. Fedora's kernel is too bloated and I hate their update cadence. I compile when I need. E.g. right now I'm running 6.1.4 which hasn't even hit testing in Fedora. Then Fedora will roll out 6.1.4 6.1.5 6.1.6 6.1.7 etc until 6.2.4 or 5 is ready and I don't need such frequent updates where most changes are insignificant and don't affect me. Before that I ran 6.0.12 despite six newer point releases available.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

RC kernels are meant for beta testers and those people normally can, you know, ... compile themselves?

I'm not even a beta tester but I've been running my own kernels for over two decades now. Fedora's kernel is too bloated and I hate their update cadence. I compile when I need. E.g. right now I'm running 6.1.4 which hasn't even hit testing in Fedora. Then Fedora will roll out 6.1.4 6.1.5 6.1.6 6.1.7 etc until 6.2.4 or 5 is ready and I don't need such frequent updates where most changes are insignificant and don't affect me. Before that I ran 6.0.12 despite six newer point releases available.
          True!

But before, before they were more careful to have successful builds, now it shows as failed for weeks.
          And not everyone is able to compile its own kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

True!

But before, before they were more careful to have successful builds, now it shows as failed for weeks.
            And not everyone is able to compile its own kernel.
            If you can't even compile your own kernel, you really shouldn't be running an RC kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

If you can't even compile your own kernel, you really shouldn't be running an RC kernel.
              For testing purposes on throw-away hardware where data is not important? Why not? The Linux kernel actually needs a lot more testing.

There's a reason Fedora avoids X.Y.(0-3) kernel releases, because it's only starting with at least .4 that there's some assurance that people have actually tested it.

Comment

Sadly, Ubuntu devs have marked this "Won't fix", until such time as they need a pre-compiled kernel.
                See - https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ask-u...rnels/27664/88

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

For testing purposes on throw-away hardware where data is not important? Why not? The Linux kernel actually needs a lot more testing.
                  If you can do that and provide useful data to the developers, you can also build the kernel.

I'm not trying to criticize anyone. I'm trying to say that installing a few dev tools and compiling the kernel isn't some insurmountable thing. Those errors the Ubuntu guys are having are probably from maintaining their own patches and supporting an enormous list of hardware requirements.
                  Last edited by NateHubbard; 09 January 2023, 07:03 AM.

Comment

RC2 has some... interesting bugs, for some reason systemd cannot remount my drive as rw, I can manually do it, but whenever I try to do it via systemd service it just poops itself. a minor annoyance since greeter doesn't appear.

Comment

Working...
                    X