Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Discontinues Development Of Open-Source HAXM Software

Phoronix: Intel Discontinues Development Of Open-Source HAXM Software

For years Intel has been developing HAXM as a hardware-accelerated execution manager with a focus on using it for the Android Emulator and QEMU in conjunction with Intel VT enabled processors. HAXM works not only on Linux but Windows, macOS, and some BSDs. Unfortunately, Intel has decided to discontinue development of HAXM. Oh yeah, they also note there are security issues with the code so it's best to just stop using it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So what now on Windows for virtualization? (besides VirtualBox and Hyper-V.......)

Comment

I guess Intel forgot for a moment that they're supposed to be extremely anti-competitive and realized Android is mostly used on ARM devices.

Comment

Hmm, when I developed for Android on Windows I needed HAXM to have a fast x86 Android emulator. Wondering what Google will do.
        These days I am on Ubuntu and it uses KVM I think.

Comment

Welcome newbie?

Comment

I used to do Linux development work under QEMU on Windows with HAXM. It worked pretty well, much more reliably than VirtualBox, but then WSL2 came along, and that was a game changer. I would prefer bare metal Linux, but unfortunately, one or two non-Microsoft things keep me tied to Windows in my role.

Comment

I mean, with MS Android subsystem built-in to Windows 11 this makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
                Hmm, when I developed for Android on Windows I needed HAXM to have a fast x86 Android emulator. Wondering what Google will do.
                These days I am on Ubuntu and it uses KVM I think.
                I use for Android development Hyper-V (Windows Hypervisor Platform ) instead HAXM for years.

Comment

Time to fork?

Comment

A little off topic, but hoping I can get some advice.
                    For testing k8s cluster stuff using virtual machines for nodes:
                    Does anyone have any advice for :
                    xen vs kvm/qemu
                    i have yet to be able to successfully install either Virtualbox or VMware WorkstationPro 17 on RockyLinux 9.1.
                    also, I have always had issues attempting to use iscsi between virtual machines for persistent storage (ie, openebs)
                    I have tried using an MSI laptop and an older Precision 7920 workstation I have as “bare metal” test machines.
                    Openebs worked fine when using a set of actual hardware servers and rockylinux 9.1 base os.
                    Currently attempting to setup the MSI as a xen host using netbsd:

nope, not a cs major, just something that interests me. Simple shell scripts are the extent of my “coding” experience.

thanks in advance for any constructive advice.

Comment

Working...
                    X