An MGLRU Performance Regression Fix Is On The Way Plus Another Optimization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An MGLRU Performance Regression Fix Is On The Way Plus Another Optimization

Phoronix: An MGLRU Performance Regression Fix Is On The Way Plus Another Optimization

While MGLRU is a nice performance win for the Linux kernel now available when enabling it for v6.1+ kernel builds, during my testing I did encounter a regression around the SVT-AV1 video encode performance at least and a fix is working its way toward mainline...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/MGLRU-SVT-Performance-Fix

Great, but I hope it didn't made other tests to regress as I could've lived just fine with only this test regressing.
    I wonder when will they enable MGLRU by default or at least provide a way to enable it through kernel boot parameters.

Comment

Good job, Michael and [email protected] !

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        Good job, Michael and [email protected] !
        Thank you. And happy new year!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Great, but I hope it didn't made other tests to regress as I could've lived just fine with only this test regressing.
          I wonder when will they enable MGLRU by default or at least provide a way to enable it through kernel boot parameters.
          To see if it is enabled use the following:
          Code:
          cat /sys/kernel/mm/lru_gen/enabled
          if this is 0 mglru is disabled 1 up to 7 means it is enabled, 7 is with all features on, for exact specifications, read the documentation. Most users should enable all functions.
          To enable mglru with all functions on use the following as root:
          Code:
          echo y >/sys/kernel/mm/lru_gen/enabled
          To disable substitute y with 0, to limit functionality substitute y with a number between 1 and 7

Comment

Originally posted by FPScholten View Post

Code:
            if this is 0 mglru is disabled 1 up to 7 means it is enabled, 7 is with all features on, for exact specifications, read the documentation. Most users should enable all functions.
            Code:
            To disable substitute y with 0, to limit functionality substitute y with a number between 1 and 7
            I really hope for your own sanity that you aren't running that command manually upon every (re)boot yourself...

Just in case, here's how it will automagically run on every start-up, guaranteed:
            cat << EOF | sudo tee /etc/udev/rules.d/99-mglru.rules
            RUN+="/bin/bash -c '/bin/echo 7 > /sys/kernel/mm/lru_gen/enabled'"
            EOF​
            You're welcome!

And for those who believe that a systemd service file would be more adequate:

No, because it is unable to reliably set the desired values under /sys/, meaning that on some boot-ups it will be set correctly, while other times it won't (already tried myself).

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

No, because it is unable to reliably set the desired values under /sys/, meaning that on some boot-ups it will be set correctly, while other times it won't (already tried myself).
              Why is this? Is there a race condition vs. another service which also sets it? If so, a dependency would fix that, but it suggests there might actually be another, better way to set it.

Comment

This sounds bogus. There is no reason why systemd (or, more precisely, systemd-launched processes) should be unable to reliably set values in sysfs.

That said, using tmpfiles is preferable to both custom udev rules and custom systemd services.
                Last edited by intelfx; 08 January 2023, 09:15 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

I really hope for your own sanity that you aren't running that command manually upon every (re)boot yourself...

Just in case, here's how it will automagically run on every start-up, guaranteed:

You're welcome!

No much simpler, I have it enabled by default in my kernel parameters
                  Code:
                  CONFIG_LRU_GEN_ENABLED=y
                  If for some reason I want to temporarily disable it, or reduce the features, my commands are useful for that.

Comment

Originally posted by FPScholten View Post

Code:
                    Code:
                    Wonderful, thank you very much for such a detailed and well explained answer!

You're welcome!

Thank you very much!
                    Last edited by Danny3; 08 January 2023, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X