No announcement yet.

The Linux OS Originally Known As Lindows Is Out With Linspire 12 Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They aren't even trying to hide the fact that is a Ubuntu spin. Why not KDE? I do remember a friend of mine using this, didn't eventually get bought out by Xandros? Now that was actually pretty good distro back in the day.

Comment

You dont have to like KDE to know it's more similar to Windows than GNOME. GNOME is a better fit for a Mac replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by motang View Post
        They aren't even trying to hide the fact that is a Ubuntu spin. Why not KDE? I do remember a friend of mine using this, didn't eventually get bought out by Xandros? Now that was actually pretty good distro back in the day.
        The article fails to mention it was originally Corel Linux then Xandros. Corel and Xandros at the time were really great Debian based distributions. Wonder why they decided to rebase on Ubuntu? It was definitely a pre-ubuntu distro. Now if they could somehow bring back an updated Word Perfect that was ported native to Linux, I could see a cost being worth it.

Comment

Here's my BASIC feelings about Linsipre:

Code:
          10 Gosub Hell

Hell:
          666 Pop
          I will never forget Lindows' collab with Caldera and SCO and so I won't have anything to do with their projects - past, present, or future.

​Screen-shot-2012-06-18-at-10.32.45-AM.png
          Last edited by linuxgeex; 06 January 2023, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
            The article fails to mention it was originally Corel Linux then Xandros. Corel and Xandros at the time were really great Debian based distributions. Wonder why they decided to rebase on Ubuntu? It was definitely a pre-ubuntu distro. Now if they could somehow bring back an updated Word Perfect that was ported native to Linux, I could see a cost being worth it.
            Oh right they were Corel Linux. But I don't think this new Linspire has any association with Corel.

Comment

Xandros Linux, that is a name I haven't heard in a long time. Was my first exposure to non-windows OSes. Ran KDE 3.x and had a 2.4 series kernel. Booted just fine on my socket A AMD duron 32 bit with 256MB of RAM. Now we have whole systems with that much L3 cache!

Comment

Originally posted by motang View Post
                Oh right they were Corel Linux. But I don't think this new Linspire has any association with Corel.
                Yeah, I thought Xandros more or less just kind of disappeared. Linspire came from Lindows, which had nothing to do with Xandros, if I recall. Xandros I thought became something else...?
                "On 1 January 2018, it was announced that PC/OpenSystems LLC purchased Xandros and Linspire from Bridgeways, Inc.

In late 2020, PC/OpenSystems LLC revived Xandros under the name Xandros OpenDesktop[1] (a commercial release) and Xandros OpenServer[2] (a free release), based on Ubuntu 20.04."

From Wikipedia; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xandros
                Definitely one of the stranger hops around. Wasn't there another one that was OpenDesktop / OpenServer? Like I want to say something like SCO named their products in such a way...

Comment

This takes me back

The good old times of SCO etc

Comment

Xandros the company did better at building application stacks than they did at OS sales. They also did a huge cross license deal with Microsoft long before Canonical did during the whole SCO insanity. This is why they somewhat sold themselves into pieces. The stacks and API's went to Bridgeways and the OS went to OpenSystems. The former head of Xandros (and its last employee) still owned some of the left over pieces for many years until their support agreements expired.

I still remember there were 2 Linux desktops we would evaluate, Caldera and Corel. When Corel ported their products to Linux we thought this was the moment Linux would break through. I still remember Microsoft threatening Corel with their Premium Partner status if they kept pushing Corel Linux and their office suite. After some odd issues started popping up in Corel Draw & Word Perfect for Windows, we all knew that Microsoft was up to their dirty tricks again.

The noise between Corel and MSFT reached a low boil until finally Corel spun off the OS to Xandros and discontinued the application portfolio. The issues with Corel Draw stopped not long after.

Comment

So it's Ubuntu with Vanilla GNOME and you can pay for it. WHAT IS THE POINT?

Comment

Working...
                      X