Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AlmaLinux, CentOS Stream, Clear Linux, Debian, Fedora & Ubuntu On AMD 4th Gen EPYC Genoa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AlmaLinux, CentOS Stream, Clear Linux, Debian, Fedora & Ubuntu On AMD 4th Gen EPYC Genoa

Phoronix: AlmaLinux, CentOS Stream, Clear Linux, Debian, Fedora & Ubuntu On AMD 4th Gen EPYC Genoa

Over the holidays some fun benchmarking was to be had with the dual AMD EPYC 9654 "Genoa" processors providing a combined 192 cores / 384 threads and seeing how various modern Linux distributions were competing for this flagship 4th Gen EPYC server configuration. Up on the testing block was AlmaLinux 9.1, CentOS Stream 9, Clear Linux 37930, Debian 12 Testing, Fedora Server 37, Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS, Ubuntu 22.10, and Ubuntu 23.04 daily.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Debian kind of sucks and because of that all Debian and Ubuntu based distros too.
    Too bad that Debian 12 that will be supported for so many years still doesn't come with some good performance improvements.

Comment

Alma looking kinda hot

Comment

Would be interesting to see differences between the RHEL and RHEL-clone distros.

RHEL, Oracle Linux, Rocky, Alma

Oracle only maintains userland compatibility with RHEL

Comment

I really don't understand why do some people claim Fedora is the slowest distro. As seen in this and earlier benchmarks that I remember, it's average+ compared to all other distros.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            Would be interesting to see differences between the RHEL and RHEL-clone distros.

RHEL, Oracle Linux, Rocky, Alma

Oracle only maintains userland compatibility with RHEL
            Rocky and Alma should be bug-to-bug clone with RHEL, thus the results should be practically the same.

CentOS Stream (~9.2) and Alma (9.1) show very similar results. Oracle with their updated kernel would be interesting though.

What surprises me is how Fedora lags in these tests compared to Enterprise distros.

Comment

Clear Linux is such a performance horse. It is a pitty that they have decided to decrease their Desktop oriented efforts, when they where just about to gain some momentum. Once in a while I do play around with CL. Very nice distro indeed but maintainance of the manually compiled stuff is quite a burden and not even comaprable with "intense" distros e.g. Gentoo. where you basically only have to run scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                I really don't understand why do some people claim Fedora is the slowest distro. As seen in this and earlier benchmarks that I remember, it's average+ compared to all other distros.
                As I was one of these people, that's really easy to answer: These are server benchmarks in this review which favor throughput over latency most of the time. Go watch desktop gamging centric reviews and you'll find Fedora at the bottomn of the chart where latency is more important.

By the way, Clear Linux still offers meaningful performance advantages over the rest, so all of the more established players do something wrong here.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

By the way, Clear Linux still offers meaningful performance advantages over the rest, so all of the more established players do something wrong here.
                  Unfortunately Clear Linux is not really usable as a regular desktop OS for the average user. I do think we need at least one distro that is performance oriented, but at the same time adequate as a desktop OS. AFAIK, this is what Serpent OS will try to do.

Comment

Poor, sad Ubuntu, you should have banished it years ago Michael. You should replace it with something zippy, like Void.

Comment

Working...
                    X