Thanks To Valve, HDR Beginning To Work For Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I'm waiting for the HDR support for video playback too, actually more than for gaming.
    Especially since
    It's been already implemented in mpv since quite some time...
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

This graph shows the market share of operating systems worldwide based on over 5 billion monthly page views.

At 5.53% vs. 1.11% for Linux.

Not sure what you meant by "Linux has no alternatives". On supercomputers and in Androids (as a tiny part of them)? Yes. Everywhere else? Not sure about that.
      https://www.enterpriseappstoday.com/...tatistics.html

Linux market share is at least 2%. macos being backed by large money since beginning has miserable 5.5%? That's a failure. Linux has no alternatives, because everything else is in lower league. It's matter of time when it will became even more visible.

Current situation with games, applications reminds me year 2000. Many people believed IIS is better as a server. It was because people were writing everything using Windows principles which were slowing things down on Linux. However, things done in the Linux way were at least 3x faster on the same hardware! Linux ate ISS for breakfast:

A list of all SPEC WEB99 benchmark results published in the SPEC Newsletter during the Second Quarter 2000.
      Last edited by Volta; 03 January 2023, 07:11 AM.

Comment

It is on Xorg or Wayland? Or both?

Comment

This is so awesome

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
            I believe macOS would have much bigger gaming marketshare if they won't be such ricks and implemented Vulkan - the main reason Proton not exists on macOS nowadays.
            This and its slowness, expensiveness and for some people terrible UI.

Comment

Is it not thanks to all the hard work that everyone has been doing at all layers of Linux? Pretty sure AMD have been doing a truck load of work on the AMDGPU driver along with Redhat to get Linux HDR ready

Comment

It's all exciting until you understand that without corporate money and real funding Linux has little to no chance of achieving major milestones or becoming a real alternative to Windows/MacOS.

Corporations will finance what benefits them. They don't care how it affects the end user.

Gnome and Wayland are almost entirely on the shoulders of RedHat employees.
                Thank you, I don't want to be in your golden cage.
                Last edited by Monsterovich; 03 January 2023, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
                  I don't own and I do not plan to buy a HDR monitor but it is still nice!
                  Your next monitor will very likely have HDR support whether you plan for it or not.

The reason is simple: sRGB/BT.709 was invented when CRTs were still the norm. Now with even budget LED screens supporting 99%-100% sRGB/BT.709 is this colourspace becoming a limitation for the colours new displays can deliver. HDR uses a larger colourspace (BT.2020), which sets the new standard and allows displays to show more colours than before.

You can get an ultrawide monitor with HDR10 and freesync for $180 now by the way.
                  Discover the 29-inch UltraWide FHD HDR Monitor that features AMD FreeSync™ and USB Type-C. Find reviews, specs, and more for 29WP60G-B.

But do not be mistaken. Not even the best monitors can currently fully display the BT.2020 colourspace. The best ones can do 100% sRGB/BT.7.09 and 100% P3, which is still not the full BT.2020 range of colours. But displays will eventually get there and HDR paves the way.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                    Your next monitor will very likely have HDR support whether you plan for it or not.

The reason is simple: sRGB/BT.709 was invented when CRTs were still the norm. Now with even budget LED screens supporting 99%-100% sRGB/BT.709 is this colourspace becoming a limitation for the colours new displays can deliver. HDR uses a larger colourspace (BT.2020), which sets the new standard and allows displays to show more colours than before.

You can get an ultrawide monitor with HDR10 and freesync for $180 now by the way.
                    https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29...rawide-monitor

But do not be mistaken. Not even the best monitors can currently fully display the BT.2020 colourspace. The best ones can do 100% sRGB/BT.7.09 and 100% P3, which is still not the full BT.2020 range of colours. But displays will eventually get there and HDR paves the way.
                    IMO HDR is good for OLED displays and not so good for everything else because e.g. for IPS/PVA displays enabling HDR means automatically increasing brightness which makes the entire screen a lot brighter and less pleasant for me too look at but then I've noticed that the vast majority of people set their monitors/smartphones brightness near the absolute maximum, so it's fine for them.

I'm a lot more interested in very deep colors (e.g. 10/12 bits per channel) than HDR. Color banding at 8bit is horrible to look at and I guess over 95% of currently sold PC (and laptop) monitors don't support anything above 8bit and lots of monitors don't even support ... 8bit natively. That's a catastrophe. Artem S. Tashkinov
                    Last edited by avis; 18 January 2023, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
                      I don't own and I do not plan to buy a HDR monitor but it is still nice!
                      You should at least check out HDR. Find a friend who has an HDR monitor, look up a TV showing HDR content in a store (preferably OLED). The entry price is not low enough yet, but the technology itself looks amazing.

Comment

Working...
                      X