No announcement yet.

Valve Revises Steam Survey Results For December - Still Pointing Down For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Revises Steam Survey Results For December - Still Pointing Down For Linux

Phoronix: Valve Revises Steam Survey Results For December - Still Pointing Down For Linux

Yesterday Valve published their Steam Survey results for December and pointed to some really odd discrepancies. Valve this evening has revised the Steam Survey results that address some of the statistics oddities but still points to the Linux gaming marketshare as a percent regressing during the past month and also the Steam Deck usage declining relative to the overall Linux gaming base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One important metric that is much more prominent but I think is missing is people running a VFIO setup on Linux because it is less of a hassle than before.
    I myself moved to a VFIO setup so not to waste half of my FPS on Neos VR and other games.

Comment

Sounds like different gaming habits in the holidays. I was expecting the opposite with people travelling and taking their Decks with them.

Comment

The Steam survey varies from month to month simply because a different subset of users is sampled. First thing I tend to check is the language list, as there are sometimes large shifts there indicating that different countries were sampled. This isn't the case this time. There's still a small shift between Chinese and other languages, but I don't think this should negatively affect Linux.

My guess is that in this case it's an actual trend, where a lot of people got new gaming PCs for Christmas. This is reflected in all stats: more system RAM, more CPU cores, more VRAM.... (Though this could also be explained by fewer Chinese being sampled.)

Short of it is though, changes from month to month are often not an indicator of a real change. The long term trends are probably okay as stats, but I feel that people give too much attention to month-to-month variation.

Edit: I went back to see what kind of strange things there are in this month's survey. Turns out DirectX 12 GPUs are down 0.42%​ while DirectX 8 GPUs and below are up 0.36%. The GeForce 3060 went up 0.47%, from 3.41% to 3.88%, but in October it had 5.47%. So as usual, the numbers are all over the place.​
        Last edited by ET3D; 03 January 2023, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I was surprised seeing Arch Linux and one of its derivatives Manjaro having such a large share of the Linux pie.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
            Sounds like different gaming habits in the holidays. I was expecting the opposite with people travelling and taking their Decks with them.
            are decks counted? Dont think they get survey popup on their decks?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

are decks counted? Dont think they get survey popup on their decks?
              Of course they do. How would you otherwise explain that the Deck shows up at all?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                The Deck is not that successful.

Comment

I bet it will tick up again next month, once asian gamers have their SD that started to ship last december.

Comment

One thing I want to mention is, Deck users are only counted in this if they use Steam in the (terrible) Desktop mode, which I assume other people use as little as I do. If you are only ever in the SteamOS Shell, you will never see the Survey. So whatever there is in the Steam Hardware Survey, it is a tiny percentage of actual Deck users.

As a tip for Deck users who are as sick of using the terrible desktop mode to install and update flatpaks as me, there is now a SteamOS Shell flatpak update UI available via Decky-Loader https://github.com/SteamDeckHomebrew/decky-loader. Its not a browser and installer, but at least it allows updating them from right from the shell.

Comment

Working...
                    X