NVIDIA Gaming/GPU Performance: Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Gaming/GPU Performance: Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu Linux Benchmarks

Phoronix: NVIDIA Gaming/GPU Performance: Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu Linux Benchmarks

Last week was a fresh look at the AMD Radeon graphics/gaming performance between Windows and Linux using the very latest drivers. Today the testing wrapped up from some holiday benchmarking looking at the NVIDIA GeForce performance under Windows 11 and Ubuntu 22.10 Linux for how the drivers on both operating systems are currently competing.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm surprised the gap between Windows and Linux on NVIDIA is that large – I thought it was only 3-4% on average at this point (with DXVK sometimes outperforming native on Windows).

Comment

I thought that Portal defaults to a dxvk -> vulkan pathway by default. I wouldn’t be surprised that that is the recommended pathway. There were a few anomalies in there. I wish nvidia and amd would ship a native d3d12 interfaces. Would initially only benefit steamplay, but could also help other porting projects as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post
        I thought that Portal defaults to a dxvk -> vulkan pathway by default. I wouldn’t be surprised that that is the recommended pathway. There were a few anomalies in there. I wish nvidia and amd would ship a native d3d12 interfaces. Would initially only benefit steamplay, but could also help other porting projects as well.
        It's not the default in Portal 2, L4D2 or CS:GO - you need to pass the `-vulkan` command line argument. This brings you higher average FPS at the cost of shader compilation stutter (if not playing on a device with precompiled shaders, such as Steam Deck).

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724
          What is L4D2 doing to almost always be slower on Windows? I don't believe it's a Source thing since Portal 2 shows a large benefit on Windows?
          I think someone has said before that the Portal 2 tests Michael does are invalid since the linux version defaults to much higher quality settings than the windows version does. But i don't recall the exact details.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
            I'm surprised the gap between Windows and Linux on NVIDIA is that large – I thought it was only 3-4% on average at this point (with DXVK sometimes outperforming native on Windows).
            For all we know the additional gap is a consequence of the different driver versions.

Comment

Considering that Nvidia is not a prime example of good driver support on the Linux side I'm not very surprised to be honest. Its how I was expecting it. But I think its no secret that for gaming in Linux AMD and Intel is recommended. Especially with mesa.

Comment

It's not the default in Portal 2, L4D2 or CS:GO - you need to pass the `-vulkan` command line argument. This brings you higher average FPS at the cost of shader compilation stutter (if not playing on a device with precompiled shaders, such as Steam Deck).
                DXVK-native should not suffer from the shader issue. The stutter only happens on DXVK because shader compiling happens at a different part in the chain in DX11, with the consequence of stalling the pipeline until the shader is compiled on Vulkan. Games stuttering because of shader compiling in general are just poorly done, this is something that should largely happen at loading, not while gameplay.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724
                  What is L4D2 doing to almost always be slower on Windows? I don't believe it's a Source thing since Portal 2 shows a large benefit on Windows?
                  Ten years ago valve used that game as showcase project. I think it just comes down to that. It is heavily optimised by the original developer for opengl and the Linux kernel. It's not exactly a secret that this level of optimisation can lead to measurable performance gains.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Considering that Nvidia is not a prime example of good driver support on the Linux side I'm not very surprised to be honest. Its how I was expecting it. But I think its no secret that for gaming in Linux AMD and Intel is recommended. Especially with mesa.
                    ... seeing the results of the comparison on amd linux vs windows:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I suspect that there is something odd/wrong in Michael setup or his general approach to benchmarking, specifically the requirement to run all automatically via scripts may hide some quirks or differences that would not pass unnoticed if testing is done with higher degree of manual review (see the comment above about differences in quality in Portal Linux vs Windows).

Talking AMD result with mesa, the BeroTech youtube channel has shown that the performance are very close linux vs windows:

The channel focus is spread into 2 categories that I specialize in. Gaming on Linux and comparing games on different OSs. I enjoy all games if there isn't something on here that you'd like to see, let me know! If you like my content, please subscribe!

In the case of Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Linux beats Windows by 10 FPS on average (83.9 vs 73.6) on rx6700xt and 5800x -- minute 3.06 in the bleow:

Hello everyone, welcome to my channel. in today's video, I am benchmarking Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales on Linux Mint 21 and Windows 11 at a custom set...

Phoronix's results show completely different outlook of performance (with windows winning hands down) across AMD and Nvidia

Something does not add up in what shown on Phoronix (unfortunately)

Comment

Working...
                    X