Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.2 Features: Stable Intel Arc Graphics. RTX 30 Support, Intel On Demand + IFS Ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.2 Features: Stable Intel Arc Graphics. RTX 30 Support, Intel On Demand + IFS Ready

Phoronix: Linux 6.2 Features: Stable Intel Arc Graphics. RTX 30 Support, Intel On Demand + IFS Ready

Now that the merge window for Linux 6.2 is over, here is a look at all the prominent features on deck for the Linux 6.2 kernel that will be released as stable in about eight weeks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

nice to see the intel arc stuff becoming stable. cannot wait to try it on my a770

Comment

RTX support... Meanwhile latest NV proprietary driver doesn't work with 6.2 yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ffs_ View Post
        RTX support... Meanwhile latest NV proprietary driver doesn't work with 6.2 yet.
        It's been like this FOREVER. Either get used to waiting 6 hours to 6 weeks for the newest kernel support to hit or buy something that has support baked into the kernel. Literally why pick on this to post about, nobody cares, it's old news this is how it is, and literally nobody cares except Nvidia users.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post

It's been like this FOREVER. Either get used to waiting 6 hours to 6 weeks for the newest kernel support to hit or buy something that has support baked into the kernel. Literally why pick on this to post about, nobody cares, it's old news this is how it is, and literally nobody cares except Nvidia users.
          I care despite not using NVIDIA.

It is a nice reminder to not buy GPUs where the vendor does not provide the related hardware documentation as to enable open source driver development.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724
            Sounds like it can be patched http://rglinuxtech.com/?p=3083

I imagine they'll support 6.2 before any mainstream distros start delivering it. Fedora 37 is on 6.0.
            Yes, using his patch seems also to help for 525 drivers. I have tested it. Needs some little modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724
              Sounds like it can be patched http://rglinuxtech.com/?p=3083

I imagine they'll support 6.2 before any mainstream distros start delivering it. Fedora 37 is on 6.0.
              Debian testing/bookworm 6.0.12

Comment

Intel On Demand No thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post

True, and since all professionals on Linux are using nVidia GPUs in combination with enterprise-tier distributions with LTS kernels, they couldn't care less whether nVidia's driver works with the newest upstream Linux version or not, since the customers can rely on the fact that when the time comes to upgrade to the next LTS version, nVidia's Linux driver will support that particular revision flawlessly, guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by trex View Post
                    Intel On Demand No thanks!
                    Yeah. I hope this feature is rejected by IT vendors across the board. Somehow, I see a 'coupon' for server hardware companies to make this feature stick. Then I see a fine by the EU and the US for anti consumer that will net the countries 200million after Intel makes 8 billion.

Comment

Working...
                    X