Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux MGLRU Results Are Looking Great On Ampere Altra

Phoronix: Linux MGLRU Results Are Looking Great On Ampere Altra

One of the best features to make it into the mainline Linux kernel this year is MGLRU as the Multi-Gen LRU for overhauling the kernel's page reclamation code. The MGLRU code that premiered in Linux 6.1 has been showing off very well in a variety of benchmarks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow! Nothing more to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
      Wow! Nothing more to say.
      I have something to say - what are numbers for C and Rust?

Comment

Originally posted by gosh000 View Post
        I have something to say - what are numbers for C and Rust?
        I don't think it should matter, unless there's something I'm missing about Rust's memory-management behavior.

Even then, you can't lump all C programs into a single category. It just depends on the program.

Here are some more MGLRU benchmarks, using a dual-EPYC 75F3 (32-Core, each) server:

Comment

Thank you, coder

I was curious what numbers are for languages/runtimes without garbage collector.

Comment

Decades ago I took a parallel programming class. We were using an ncube system with I don't remember how many CPUs. One of the assignments was to write a parallel matrix multiply algorithm and look at how it scaled as we increased the number of CPUs used.

One of the guys in the class was a Russian wunderkind. His single-CPU performance blew everyone else's full parallel performance out of the water, because he has looked at the CPU architecture and tweaked his algorithm to fit code and data entirely in the cache.

As a hardware engineer we get excited about new CPUs that offer 15% higher IPC, but there is still so much performance to be gained from software alone. This is a great example.

Comment

Being resourceful helps. I read (recently) that Amazon Web Services contributed code to FFMPEG project - https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/opensou...on-processors/

Comment

Originally posted by igxqrrl View Post
                Decades ago I took a parallel programming class. We were using an ncube system with I don't remember how many CPUs. One of the assignments was to write a parallel matrix multiply algorithm and look at how it scaled as we increased the number of CPUs used.

One of the guys in the class was a Russian wunderkind. His single-CPU performance blew everyone else's full parallel performance out of the water, because he has looked at the CPU architecture and tweaked his algorithm to fit code and data entirely in the cache.
                Perhaps one of the lessons you learned was that column-major accesses are a great way to trigger cache thrashing? This is definitely true of image processing, as image widths have an annoying tendency to be a multiple of some significant power of 2.

Comment

Originally posted by gosh000 View Post
                  Being resourceful helps. I read (recently) that Amazon Web Services contributed code to FFMPEG project - https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/opensou...on-processors/
                  I also see many merge requests in x264 and x265 for arm64

Comment

Working...
                  X