Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Sends Out Initial Linux Kernel Patches For FRED

Phoronix: Intel Sends Out Initial Linux Kernel Patches For FRED

Intel last year published documentation concerning a feature for future CPUs that they dubbed FRED, the Flexible Return and Event Delivery. FRED has the capability of helping system performance and response time while now initial patches for the Linux kernel have been published for supporting FRED...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The article makes it sound like this isn't in Sapphire Rapids, but I thought it had some sort of feature to speed up software interrupt handling. Can anyone shed some light on any of this?

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      The article makes it sound like this isn't in Sapphire Rapids, but I thought it had some sort of feature to speed up software interrupt handling. Can anyone shed some light on any of this?
      It's a complete departure from the traditional x86 exception mechanism, that in theory should speed up the boilerplate code necessary for handling exceptions/events on future x86.
      And yes it seems like this is not in Sapphire Rapids; the FRED spec is very much still a draft, but Intel apparently has a cpu simulator which already supports it, and that's what the patchset is written against.

Comment

my name is Fred, and im an alcoholic. Hi Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
          my name is Fred, and im an alcoholic. Hi Fred
          I was thinking more like...
          Fred Jones (Scooby Doo)
          Fred Jones (Scooby Doo)

Comment

I wonder if the companion feature for FRED will be named ETHEL?

Comment

I wonder what security flaws this bit of Intel code will introduce to Linux....

"They are not BUGS! They are FEATURES!"

Uh-huh.

Comment

My buddy who passed away this year wrote an event processing system for his web apps that he called FRED... for F*ing Ridiculous Event Daemon, which I think he semi-plagiarised the name from a robotics project called the F*ing Ridiculous Electronic Device.

Nice to see a FRED living on. I hope the author was aware of other FREDs when they named it.

Comment

Originally posted by xfcemint View Post
                  I wonder whether this "FRED" is of any significant value at all.

What is urgently required is that cache lines in L1 and L2 must be tag-able by thread markers, and selectively flushable by thread markers. What's the status on that most essential functionality for faster context switching? Oh, and I got a good name for it, I think it should be called "WILMA".

So, what's the status on WILMA? (Flintstones, meet the Flintstones, they are modern stone-age family....)
                  Aw, c'mon you gotta at least make an attempt to define what the acronym means.

Wanted Intel Lameness Mitigated Asap?

Comment

Working...
                  X