Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.2 Allows For Zstd-Compressed Debug Information

Phoronix: Linux 6.2 Allows For Zstd-Compressed Debug Information

In addition to Linux 6.2 upgrading its Zstd implementation for speedier compression/decompression for in-kernel uses of the Zstandard compression algorithm, this new kernel version is adding another Zstd use-case: compressed debug info sections...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-6.2-Zstd-Debug-Info

I'm probably getting too attached over all this, but I really enjoy seeling Zstandard slowly become ubiquitous. It's truly the "new zlib".

Comment

I'm surprised that debug Info for the kernel is not more compressible. In my experience we often got quarter size or less when compressing debug info with plain zip at a previous work place.

That was for C++ though, which now that I think about it is likely more compressible thanks to repeated namespace and class names... Still, would have expected a better ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
        I'm surprised that debug Info for the kernel is not more compressible. In my experience we often got quarter size or less when compressing debug info with plain zip at a previous work place.

That was for C++ though, which now that I think about it is likely more compressible thanks to repeated namespace and class names... Still, would have expected a better ratio.
        Would be interesting to see if `dwz` was used, or even whether it was used for uncompressed but now doesn't do a thing as it has no support for zstd compressed debug info.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
          I'm probably getting too attached over all this, but I really enjoy seeling Zstandard slowly become ubiquitous. It's truly the "new zlib".
          Too bad the author didn't bother patenting it. Look how much moneys the mega corporations make with MPEG2 & H264-H266. They're also nimbly avoiding the use of FLAC and come up with dozens of (NIH) new proprietary lossless audio formats for uses like Bluray. The world would such a beautiful place if nobody could use this.

Comment

Working...
          X