Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blender 3.4 HIP Performance With Radeon RX 7900 Series + RDNA3 OpenCL Compute Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender 3.4 HIP Performance With Radeon RX 7900 Series + RDNA3 OpenCL Compute Benchmarks

Phoronix: Blender 3.4 HIP Performance With Radeon RX 7900 Series + RDNA3 OpenCL Compute Benchmarks

Earlier this week was the initial Radeon RX 7900 XT and RX 7900 XTX Linux review focusing on the gaming performance while in today's article is a look at the Radeon RX 7900 series when running on Blender 3.4 with its Cycles HIP back-end as well as various OpenCL compute benchmarks against the older Radeon graphics cards and NVIDIA GeForce competition.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This all looks pretty good... sure it would be nice to see HIP beat CUDA but at least it looks like an option now.

Comment

Those are all nice respectable numbers, good stuff all around.

Comment

So... great for synthetics, not so great for actual tasks?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          So... great for synthetics, not so great for actual tasks?
          It seems to vary by game or task and the increased NVIDIA performance comes at the expense of increased power and slightly higher thermals...meaning a higher long term cost of ownership.

Comment

Does tensorflow-rocm work with these 7900 cards with the latest rocm stack?

Comment

Originally posted by Mushoz View Post
              Does tensorflow-rocm work with these 7900 cards with the latest rocm stack?
              Haven't had a chance to look into it yet but it's been on my todo list.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It seems to vary by game or task and the increased NVIDIA performance comes at the expense of increased power and slightly higher thermals...meaning a higher long term cost of ownership.
                Power doesn't matter for that, energy does. Remember, the time it takes to complete a task is also a factor.

Comment

Do Eevee, I'd like to know the answer, I'm not really using cycle

Comment

Can someone way more smarter than me explain why OpenCL seems to be so bad, performance wise?

Comment

Working...
                    X