Intel 3rd Gen Xeon Scalable Linux Performance Evolution Since Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel 3rd Gen Xeon Scalable Linux Performance Evolution Since Launch

Phoronix: Intel 3rd Gen Xeon Scalable Linux Performance Evolution Since Launch

As we approach the end of 2022 and with Intel recently having revealed a January date for introducing Xeon Scalable "Sapphire Rapids", here is a look at how the upstream Linux performance has evolved since the debut of the current-generation Xeon Scalable "Ice Lake" processors debuted in early 2021. This article is looking at the Xeon Platinum 8380 Linux performance with benchmarks conducted on CentOS Stream, Clear Linux, and Ubuntu back when Ice Lake SP first debuted against now on the latest Linux OS releases.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu's silly decision of still sticking to the Intel P-State "powersave" governor by default compared to Intel P-State "performance"
    Ubuntu is not optimized for servers and desktops. It's optimized for something between - nothing. It should detect if it's running on PC, laptop or server and change governor appropriately. It should also use low latency, 1000Hz kernel and proper I/O governor for desktops. Without debugging..

Comment

Can you recommend me something to read about how to improve a desktop? I'm using an old XPS13 notebook with Core i5-6200u to develop, and it's mostly fine, but it could be better meanwhile modern CPUs get a little cheaper...

I'm using Intel-undervolt so it runs a little cooler, but that's it.

I also have 8 GB of RAM. Probably this matters, too

Comment

Holy cow! It's like Ubuntu isn't using any AVX-512, or something drastic like that. Some of those benchmarks can't simply be explained by using the wrong performance governor.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          here is a look at how the upstream Linux performance has evolved since the debut of the current-generation Xeon Scalable "Ice Lake" processors debuted in early 2021.
          Redundancy?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Redundancy?
            Dual-redundancy!

Comment

Working...
            X