Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.2 Speeds Up A Function By 715x - kallsyms_lookup_name()

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.2 Speeds Up A Function By 715x - kallsyms_lookup_name()

Phoronix: Linux 6.2 Speeds Up A Function By 715x - kallsyms_lookup_name()

As a nice Christmas present, code merged today to the Linux 6.2 kernel speeds up a core kernel function by a factor of 715x...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's such a simple yet performant solution.

Adding another array that contains index to the original one so that it can be sorted without affecting the order of the original array and provides significant speedup.

Comment

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post
      It's such a simple yet performant solution.

Adding another array that contains index to the original one so that it can be sorted without affecting the order of the original array and provides significant speedup.
      when i see the phoronix benchmark graph , that is when i will believe

Comment

That's absolutely wonderful!
        I wish this was backported to 6.1, especially since it's so simple.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

when i see the phoronix benchmark graph , that is when i will believe
          Changes to one single function is usually benchmarked using micro benchmark, that will highlight its impact.
          Measuring the whole system performance for a certain task might not be noticeable given that there are hundreds or thousands of other functions called.

The changes to this function definitely improve the performance significantly with slightly larger kernel elf size.
          This is because it's changed from a linear search to binary search, O(n) to O(log(n)) and is now becoming much faster consider that the kernel has a lot of symbols.
          You don't need a benchmark to know that this changes would improve the performance of that single function.

Comment

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post

Changes to one single function is usually benchmarked using micro benchmark, that will highlight its impact.
            Measuring the whole system performance for a certain task might not be noticeable given that there are hundreds or thousands of other functions called.
            The obvious question, which is not answered in the article, would be: when is this function actually used? Just during boot-up? Or permanently while the kernel is running? When modules are loaded?

A 700x performance gain is great. Yet, if this function is only called e.g. on kernel startup, it doesn't really matter that much.
            Last edited by oleid; 14 December 2022, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

The obvious question, which is not answered in the article, would be: when is this function actually used? Just during boot-up? Or permanently while the kernel is running? When modules are loaded?

A 700x performance gain is great. Yet, if this function is only called e.g. on kernel startup, it doesn't really matter that much.
              I'm not sure about that.

Comment

I do agree,but improvements doesn't have to be always huge: many small improvements add up​ and in the long time makes the difference.
                Also, when someone find a way to solve a problem in a smarter/better way is in itself a good news.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

I do agree,but improvements doesn't have to be always huge: many small improvements add up​ and in the long time makes the difference.
                  Also, when someone find a way to solve a problem in a smarter/better way is in itself a good news.
                  Oh, don't get me wrong. I fully agree, as long as the code is still maintainable. I was just wondering about the bigger picture.

Comment

Oh, don't get me wrong. I fully agree, as long as the code is still maintainable. I was just wondering about the bigger picture.
                    the bigger picture is just catastrophic due to the security mitigations of the last years

Comment

Working...
                    X