AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX + RX 7900 XT Linux Support & Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AdrianBc View Post

Could you please also run vkpeak, to see if under Vulkan the same anomaly is present?
    7900XT Linux Benchmarks. AMD Ryzen 7 7700X CPU. 32GB RAM. Ubuntu 22.04 userspace. - clpeak

Comment

• Originally posted by agartner View Post

Thanks a lot.

Unfortunately, the Vulkan results are even worse than the OpenCL results.

Hopefully this is caused only by AMD drivers that have not been optimized for RDNA 3 yet, and in a few months the performance might improve.

Until then, the RDNA 3 GPUs are not useful for computational applications. These results may explain the poor performance of the new GPU cards in most non-gaming benchmarks.

I really hope that AMD is working at improved drivers, because the performance per dollar of the NVIDIA GPUs is unacceptably low.

Comment

• Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

why do you need SR-IOV?
        To maximize games compatibility to almost 100% by using also a VM for games that have problems with compatibility layers.

Comment

• In case it's something anyone else runs into, here are some notes from my experience:
          • Debian with various kernels doesn't seem to work. I had no video with 6.0. I found a 6.1 kernel from experimental that worked. I later tried a pristine 6.2-rc4 kernel that I built myself using the 6.1 config as a starting point, but the amdgpu kernel module wouldn't auto-load. I found I could manually load it (sudo modprobe -r amdgpu) and restart the greeter (sudo service lightdm restart) to get video.
          • I started with Mesa 22.3 but later tried 23.0.0-rc1
          • Performance was awful. It turned out that MCLK was stuck at its lowest frequency state of 96 MHz and would not budge regardless of GPU load.
          • The MCLK issue is a glitch in the driver that somehow is related to refresh rate. Changing from 144 Hz to 120 Hz let MCLK float normally again and performance was fixed. 60 and 75 Hz also worked. Moving back to 144 Hz always re-breaks it. Ymmv, I only stumbled onto this because people have apparently had similar issues for years across various GPUs where normally the issue is that MCLK is stuck high. The exact frequencies that are bugged may vary from system to system depending on your monitor, link type, etc.
          Last edited by Particle; 21 January 2023, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Particle Maybe you can help me out a bit - my Vega64 died a couple of weeks ago and was forced to buy sooner than expected a new card, so I got a Gigabyte 7900XT, the OC edition. Unfortunately when I upgraded my whole system to a Ryzen 7700X I also switched from openSUSE to Debian - so not much experience here. How exactly did you install Mesa 22.3 in Debian 11, no backports version is available right now it seems? Kinda of put back by everyone advising not to use experimental if you still want a system... Did you compiled it yourself, care to share? Thanks!

Comment

• Firstly ~ Hello all. Long time reader, never registered or posted.
              I read this story on or shortly after December 12, 2022. It's now March 13. The initial story had an attempt to test AMD's latest GPU on latest CPU, the R9-7950X. That proved to be problematic, so the testing was done on a 5950X system. There was an explanation of sorts and a tip that there would be a follow up.
              Several days later, there was a very brief addition about changing the voltage to the SOC (I'm not clear if that was the system of the CPU or the system on the GPU) and nothing more was said. Now I think there has been at least one updated BIOS set since then...
              For the record, long after the fact, can we now run a brand spanking mid ~ high-end AMD graphics card on the top of the line CPU under Linux and have it deliver the expected performance, or will it still run at half the speed a reasonable buyer would expect? If there is a fix or work-around, what is it? Just make sure you have the latest motherboard and GPU BIOS installed? Is there some manual setup required in the BIOS?
              For the record, what I'm most curious about is running a 7950X on the integrated graphics, and whether I can run 2x 1080p monitors that way, but not getting the expected performance from a thousand dollar GPU would be a bit annoying ~

Comment

Working...
              X